380 displacement

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

Ken Cobb

I have noticed that there is a discrepancy between the official Catalinayachts.com website and the "boats" section of this web site concerning the displacement of the 380. Catalina shows it at 19,500 lbs. with the wing keel, while this site's "specs" section shows it at 16,500 lbs. The prior Catalina 38 model, which was shorter at the waterline than the 380, was also basically a 16,000 lb. boat. My question is, is the 19,500 lb. figure correct, and if so, why is the 380 so heavy compared to many other 38's out there from other manufacturers? While we are on the subject, it appears that the 390 and the Morgan 381 are built on the same hull as the 380. Thus, the 390 is really the three-cabin version of the 380, and the Morgan is the center cockpit version of the 380.

T

Tim Leighton

DISCREPANCY

Ken: Go with the numbers provided by the CatalinaYachts web site. The correct displacement numbers for the 380 are 19,500 and 19,000 lbs for wing and fin keels respectively. I suspect the 16,000# number comes from the "old" Catalina 38 which is a totally different boat. As for the 380/390 relationship, you are absolutely right, the 390 is the 3 cabin version of the 380 and yes, I believe the Morgan 380 is simply a center cockpit Cal 380 (although I can only verify the 390 data). Don't forget that no figures for Catalina yachts found in this site are placed by Catalina and can easily be wrong. During a tour of their Largo factory in Dec that subject was brought up in a conversation I had with the manager and he was concerned that this site had out-of-date info. When I suggested that Catalina assist, he didn't seem too interested. Oh well. Now, if someone can tell me what the REAL draft of the 400 wing keel is!!! Smooth Sailing! Tim Leighton (S/V "MAGIC" - C400)

L

ludo beerman

380 weight

Ken, I have not done this myself but other C380 owners have measured. Based on the findings they reported, the fully rigged and equipped C380 after a season in the water (the hull absorbs water) the numbers I have seen are between 20,000 to as high as 22,000 lbs. Manufacturers tend to understate weight, perhaps to achieve better performance ratios? Ludo Beerman

Status
Not open for further replies.