38' Island Trader Ketch Blue Water?

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Steve

Been seriously thinking about a blue water cruiser w/full keel with traditional lines. Has anyone had experiance with the Island Trader Ketch 38' and if so, good points and bad?
 
J

Jeff D

Leaky Teaky

I've had a little experience with the Island Trader. Yes, they are big and heavy but they sail that way. Lots of teak above and below which means lots of work above and below. The teak decks are notorious for leaking and the core is no doubt saturated. The original hardware was marginal and needs to be replaced. If it still has the wooden spars, I would be very wary and think about replacement. There is a lot of interior volume and the teak makes a lot of people drool but it is what is behind the teak is what needs to be checked out. I guess the dollar to pound ratio is what attracts people to these boats and the fact they look salty. If you are really after "bluewater" there are better options. IF you want a nice big home on the water that you can putt around in, then it may work for you.
 
T

Trevor - SailboatOwners.com

Here's a link

Hi Jeff - I'm sure you'll hear several nay-sayers, and most of them have very valid points and cautions. I, however, lived aboard a great "leaky teaky" for a couple years before selling the boat; a Formosa 51. She did have new teak decks, and I'm glad for that, as they cost the previous owner $30k! Boats are good for the soul, and a lot of people really like the "salty" style you are looking at. That being said, there are a lot of variables to consider. If you take your time and follow your heart (not blindly!), you'll choose wisely. In the meantime, check out the Related link below - might be interesting for you. Best of luck! http://www.eskimo.com/~martinm/itrader/index.htm Trevor
 
Status
Not open for further replies.