37C Windlass

Oct 19, 2013
Hunter 37C 3 Centerport
I've had it with pulling up my fricking anchor from the fricking mud of the Long Island Sound!
Anyone have any suggestions on an anchor windlass for Shadow our 37ft. Cutter?

I'd really rather not alter the anchor locker if possible.

Dave Groshong

SBO Staff
Staff member
Jan 25, 2007
Catalina 22 Seattle
It's likely you will have to modify the fastener holes, give us a call if you'd like:

I pulled a big anchor for 5 years, wow, I was in shape, I feel that ole pain! 100ft of 3/8 chain plus rode is too much for me, 25 years later.

dave
877-932-7245 x116
Mon-Fri, 9-3:30 Pacific

Oct 19, 2013
Hunter 37C 3 Centerport
I appreciate your quick response. From eyeballing the depth of the 1985 37 C anchor locker, it appears to be rather shallow, possibly 12" or so. I think that in order to not alter the anchor locker, it would be best to use a horizontal windlass... what do you think?

Oct 19, 2013
Hunter 37C 3 Centerport
I looked at the video you attached and I couldn't figure out how exactly it was positioned because it was a close up focusing on the operation of the windlass. It's possible that windlass might work, though our anchor locker I think is a different configuration.
I'll post pix of the anchor locker this Saturday when we take the boat out.

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
Don't know how close your arrangements are but here is an ongoing discussion now:

Jun 8, 2004
C&C Frigate 36 St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia
A number of owners have installed a horizontal anchor windlass in the locker. Here is one of several installations detailed on this website: Hunter 37-cutter Owner Modifications and Upgrades
I had a Simpson Lawrence 1500 installed in the anchor locker on my old H37C. Its nice to have it out od the weather and the deck uncluttered.

Oct 19, 2013
Hunter 37C 3 Centerport
Thank you Jim, Dave and Ralph,
I've looked at your post and photos and videos.
Jim, I like how your horizontal windless is mounted in the anchor locker, it's very neat and tidy. I was wondering if the chain and rope ever get fouled in the compartment forward of the V berth. Also is there drainage in that compartment? I haven't explored that area of the bow yet on my boat.
Dave, I like the vertical windlass because of it's 180 degree turn and the fact that it handles both rope and chain.
I'm kind of leaning toward a vertical windlass now as I think I could mount it on the deck, behind the anchor locker to the left of the staysail stay, returning the rode into the existing anchor locker while I flake the rope and chain. (See photo). Also from eyeball measuring (I didn't have a tape measurer), it appears the motor might fit in the storage cabinet in the V berth.
Ralph, I appreciate the thoroughness of that thread, it's getting quite academic. It appears one can use either a vertical or horizontal windlass depending on preference.

I'm not going to physically do this project until next Spring, so I'm still open to persuasion, but I'm leaning toward the vertical windlass mounted behind the anchor locker with the motor in the V Berth cabin.

s/v Shadow has a bow sprit platform that was added by the previous owner, it houses the anchor and anchor roller, the only obstruction in the rode's line of travel looks like the the square mooring cleat with it's "T" arms projecting right and left. Because that "T" is square, I was thinking of rotating it 90 degrees (if I can access the below deck nuts).

Attached are photos of the anchor locker and one with a markup to show the position of where I'd place the vertical windlass.

I'd like to place the vertical windlass in the anchor locker, but I'm concerned there might not be enough room for the chain and rope.

This is where I'm at right now, though I'm still open to suggestions

Attachments

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
Next time you're having trouble falling asleep at night, peruse this record I made of the installation of the windlass on our H-310. Completely different locker layout but you may be able to use some of the ideas in sealing the windlass on deck to avoid water running down into the V-berth.

Good luck with your installation.

Attachments

May 31, 2007
Hunter 37 cutter Blind River
I installed a horizontal Lewmar 1000 in my anchor locker, similar to the install of Dave's. I wish I had the roller which keeps the chain low as it leads to the gypsy. Mine tends to jump and skip a bit when on the chain section. Rode is fine. Then again, my teeth ( windlass) are a bit worn. I glassed in a wooden base to raise the top of the windlass to within a fraction of an inch of the locker lid to achieve more chain bite. Chain and rode fall to the locker ahead of the V-berth. Never had a problem of pyramids or jams.

I have used systems which feed chain into a shallow locker as you are suggesting with your vertical installation and found them to be a major PITA. It is harder on the back, there is more chance of tangles and the exposed windlass while sailing has the potential of a nasty toe stubber.

Rather than running heavy cable to the house batteries, which are in the bilge, I
installed a dedicated group 24 battery in the V-berth locker. Every so often I charge it up when on shore power with an economical charger. I have never run out of juice for the windlass, even after two weeks of cruising with a new anchorage every day.

Oct 19, 2013
Hunter 37C 3 Centerport
Sandpiper10471, Thanks for the input and relating your experience with a deck mounted vertical windlass.
Sounds like your and Jim's installation may be the way to go. Jim's addition of the roller seems like a good idea too.
I'll post again when I get closer to making a decision.

Thanks everybody for sharing your experience.

Dec 5, 2011
Hunter 37c Scotland
Bolander
You asked about drainage in the locker forward of the v berth. My H37c has a windlass in the anchor locker and falls (usually without problems) in to this locker. There are two drain holes (P & S) and clam shells on the outside BUT the holes inside are through the liner, then a gap and then the outer hull. Any water coming over the bows and draining through the anchor locker and into the chain locker below does not exit through the clam shells but drains into the locker below the front V berth.
It took me a very long time to work this out, fixing other problems (that needed doing) in the hope but still finding water under the v berth. My fix was to glass in a fibreglass tube bridging the liner and outer hull. Upon explaining this to my surveyor some time later he suggested the easy fix was to inject thickened epoxy and re drill the drains. ahh hindsight.

Oct 19, 2013
Hunter 37C 3 Centerport
Angus thanks for your post. I appreciate your explanation and you and your surveyors solution.
It seems after everyone's input, that the horizontal windlass mounted in the anchor locker with a drop into the V berth makes the most sense to me. I'm hoping to get this done sometime this Spring, (don't hold me to it) :) If and when I get it done, I'll post pix. THX everyone.

May 31, 2007
Bolander - if you install as per your pics above, you will be forever flaking chain and rode in the anchor locker while weighing. Slow and awkward. Never had a problem with chain and rode falling into the locker beneath.

Mikem

Dec 20, 2009
Hunter 466 Bremerton
Here are two pictures of the windlass on my daughter's 1984 37C. In the bottom picture the switch mechanism is to the left and covered by the plexiglass piece.

Attachments

Oct 19, 2013
Hunter 37C 3 Centerport
Mikem, thanks for your post. I assume her windlass drops the chain and rode into the locker forward the V-Berth.
I may be dense, but I'm still trying to figure out the drainage of the forward V BERTH Locker. I'm not seeing any drain holes in mine.

Dec 5, 2011
Hunter 37c Scotland
I'm still trying to figure out the drainage of the forward V BERTH Locker. I'm not seeing any drain holes in mine.
I presume you don't have any holes in the aft corners of the forward V berth locker and corresponding s/s clamshell covers on the outside of the hull?
If this is not an original feature, then maybe a previous owner drilled holes in my boat not knowing about the gap between the liner and the hull. If this is the case, I refer you to my earlier post and suggest you drill your own drainage with caution.
Regards

Mikem

Dec 20, 2009
Hunter 466 Bremerton
Mikem, thanks for your post. I assume her windlass drops the chain and rode into the locker forward the V-Berth.
I may be dense, but I'm still trying to figure out the drainage of the forward V BERTH Locker. I'm not seeing any drain holes in mine.
I will take a look this weekend and see what I can find out.

May 31, 2007
I have been dropping chain and rode into that locker for about 10 seasons and so far haven't had a problem with wet bedding. (From the bottom anyway!) There are no drains except under the non-sealed plywood bulkhead at the aft end of the locker. Without visiting the boat for inspection I do not recall a liner in that locker. If drains were added to the outside and being closer to the water's surface, there could be ingress through them when sailing in waves. That would require completely sealing that locker from the rest of the boat.

Jun 8, 2004
C&C Frigate 36 St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia
On my '83, I had 150' of 3/8" chain, which initially dropped into the space immediately below the on-deck anchor locker (the space forward of the teak plywood 'bulkhead' at the forward end of the V-berth). This was unworkable, because the space was too small and the chain would mound up. Also, the bottom of this area was the same surface as the bottom of the V-berth, so wet chain would affect the cushions. I cut a triangular-shaped hole in this 'locker' to allow the chain to fall into the area below - the compartment that was accessed by lifting the forward, smaller cover under the V-berth cushions. On my boat, this compartment was completely sealed and glassed and water would collect at the back end. I could have cut a limber hole , but my solution was to fit a plastic through hull in the aft end and connect a hose in the next compartment (the one with the big cover under the cushions) and run that hose to the deepest part of the main bilge, so water from the chain locker would be directed to the bilge pumps. Because my windless was housed in what was originally the deck anchor locker, with the lid closed underway, I never got much water in the anchor chain locker - just what came in on the chain when weighing anchor. Hope this helps.

Oct 19, 2013
Hunter 37C 3 Centerport
Hey Jim, Thanks for your response. Your drainage solution seems reasonable and effective.
I just purchased a Lewmar H3 Horizontal/Drum Windlass. I'll install it in the anchor locker and as of now drop the chain and rope into the locker forward of the V berth. I may follow your idea of dropping the line into the next compartment below that locker and run a drainage hose to the bilge (or not).
I'll take it one step at a time and document it as I go along. It might be a few months before I get to it.

Thanks for everyone's input, and keep it coming, the more information I can get, the better!