37C Spreader Tip Replacement

Oct 19, 2013
Hunter 37C 3 Centerport
I had my mast taken down this winter and was informed that my Spreader Tips needed to be replaced.
Fortunately, the Cherubini Forum Archives had a post that identified where to
locate and purchase said tips. (thank you ybrad, circa 2011)
I’m happy to report, they are still available through Rig-Rite (Rigrite.com). the model number is: K-10371. The cost for two including shipping was $255.

So no problem, pop the tips off the spreader and replace with the new tips.
Turns out not so simple for S/V Shadow’s 36 year old spreader tips.

The photos posted here, chronicles the spreader project.
I started by cutting the rivet tops off with a 4” grinder and cutting wheel (my spreaders had bird spikes riveted on top).
I chiseled off the tips of the two spreaders with a hammer and chisel only to find that the ends of the spreaders were corroded by calcium deposits to the point that the aluminum was eroded and eaten away spots.

So the project’s goal was to prime and paint the spreaders, as well as my main and staysail booms.

Using 80 grit sandpaper and my handheld mouse sander, I went to work removing as much calcium as possible and then with a small flat head screwdriver I dug into any deposits caught in the tiny recesses of the eroded ends removing the rest of the residue.
Next, I layered two part epoxy on the inside of the spreader end and on the male insert parts of the spreader tips, then bar clamped them together.

Next day, I removed the clamps and sanded the joint smooth.
The eroded parts of the spreader ends still needed more filling, so to make a long story a iittle shorter over the course of two days, I added two additional layers of epoxy.
That third layer was probably overkill, as it was impossible to sand with the 80 grit paper. Using my grinder and a 220 grit flap disk I gently ground the remaining epoxy smooth and finished the sanding with the 80 grit sandpaper.

The original spreader tips where held in place with one simple rivet, so I drilled out those epoxy filled holes and popped in an aluminum rivet.

So that’s it. I won’t bore you with the painting project. If you have any questions or comments please post.

And if anyone knows where to get Spreader Tip BOOTS, let me know.

Attachments

tmjb

Mar 13, 2012
Hunter 36C Glen Cove
I second the thanks.
I have an ‘81 H36 with a mast that unfortunately is not anodized and needs painting as I assume yours is. I too therefore need to drop it and repaint during which I plan also to rewire and maybe replace the spreader tips.

My question relates to dropping the mast at a reasonable cost. It looks like your are in New York, as am I, and I am wondering where you did this and what was the cost.

Any insight would be much appreciated. Many thanks in advance.

Oct 19, 2013
Hunter 37C 3 Centerport
Hi tmjb,
We purchased our boat last summer and pulled it for Winter storage at Willis Marine Center in Huntington, LI, NY.
We had them pull the mast, shrink wrap it and winterize the engine.
In short, I had to pay them with my first borne child for these services.
We had to put it on hard for Winter, just to be able to go thru the list of projects needed.
We pulled the mast so we could check the wiring as the anchor and deck light were not working,
I also want to paint the mast, which I have yet to negotiate with the yard, I'm assuming it won't be an issue or charge, but they place the mast on racks with all these other masts, I have to get them to pull it and place it on saw horses.
I've attached a Willis boatyard work list form to this post that explains how Willis charges.
I chose Willis, because they have a paved yard, which allows me to paint the bottom myself.
Next year, I'll pull the boat and leave it on hard at Britannia Boat yard, in Northport which is closer to my house.
We purchased the boat in Port Jefferson where it was stored at The Boat Place yard
Check online with other boat yards on the island or elsewhere for service forms, I think most boatyards post them online.

If you find a lower priced boat yard, post it on this thread as I'd be happy to move Shadow next year.
Another option for you is to use a bosun's chair or the ATN Mastclimber which costs around $450, to climb your mast and do the work yourself.

Attachments

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Practical Sailor must monitor this site. I just got an offer for a book on inspecting standing rigging. They talk about spreader tips and what salt water can do under rigging tape and boots.
I'm wondering if the little wheels wouldn't better a better choice

tmjb

Mar 13, 2012
Hunter 36C Glen Cove
Many thanks for the prompt and informative reply Bolander. Looking at the work list are they charging $24/ft for unstepping and restepping or $24/ft each and does the charge include storage of the mast (I see $5/ft for this for masts unstepped by owner)?

I have been storing my boat at Safe Harbor Glen Cove (formerly Brewers) and overall their prices for winter storage look comparable, possibly a little higher, than Willis when all is taken into account - except for in-water storage which I haven't done with my current boat. Willis is considerably less for this. My understanding is that they charge $17.50/ft each for unstepping and restepping, plus $5.50/ft for storage plus a total of $390 for removal, mandatory cleaning and lube, and storage of furlers although I am not sure if there is an additional $195 to reinstall the furler. I suspect there is.

I have a Mastclimber and have considered painting using that but the process seems a bit arduous and possibly not conducive to a thorough job. Also I would like to rewire and also, most importantly, to replace my standing rigging.

I would also much appreciate knowing of any place where I can have the mast dropped and be able to work on it at significantly reduced cost.

Enjoy your new boat!

Oct 19, 2013
Hunter 37C 3 Centerport
I wouldn't know where to send you for dropping the mast at a lower cost.
I think you're just going to have to call around or maybe someone else here knows.
If you find out let me know.

Blitz

Jul 10, 2007
Seidelmann 34 Atlantic Highlands, NJ
Nice work overall. I did the same project 10 years ago but my spreaders and tips weren't at corroded. I primed and repainted mine before reinstalling and put Tef-gel on them before sliding/riveting them back in. I took mast down this year and all looks good, but will repaint the spreaders and tips again. I used the Edson boots and they were fine this entire time. I will replace them this year upon the reinstall.