37c projects

Jun 19, 2018
Hunter 37c Tampa FL
My wife and I purchased our 37c hull #36 late last year and only had a short time to do the essentials to get her ready before leaving for the Bahamas. After a great 5 months of cruising we decided to spend hurricane season back near home on the west coast of Florida. Since returning we have spent the last month knocking out a lot of the projects we've wanted to do (new sole, refinished most of the interior wood, replaced original wall paper, removed ALL carpet in storage areas and painted with bilge paint, sorted and tidied up a lot of wiring). We've still got plenty of projects and upgrades to keep us busy over the summer as we wait to head back south this fall but she's coming along nicely, we love this ol boat. Figured I'd share some pictures.
20180722_133133.jpg
20180722_133318.jpg
20180722_133155.jpg
20180722_133923.jpg
20180722_133511.jpg

Last edited:

Manny

Oct 5, 2006
Hunter 82? 37 Cutter Wherever the wind takes me
Hi Salty Tails -

Boat looks great! A few questions:

• What did you use to refinish the teak? It looks pretty light which i like. Mine is super dark and i will eventually sand and refinish.
  • What did you use for the sole? I used an almost identical looking vinyl plank for my kitchen at home and was thinking it may look cool on the boat. Now i know it does, i just don't know how i could adhere it. Plus it is kind of slippery.
  • Your fold down table, can you post the dimensions? I was starting to make one for mine but it "feels" too small. The original table is long since gone :-( Edit to add: Can you post a picture of it down?

Thanks!

Manny

Jun 19, 2018
Hunter 37c Tampa FL
Thanks! Our teak was pretty dark and glossy as well and we wanted to lighten it up some. We used a stripper to remove the varnish then sanded out some of the stain till we got to a lighter color we liked. Then re varnished with a clear satin. Lots of work but worth it in the end. As you can see in the pictures we also did a bulkhead in a chalkboard finish and did the cabinets over the settees and a few things in the head/vanity area in a light gray to help lighten up the inside of the boat, we really like the way it all turned out.

For the sole I pulled out all the old wood to get down to the fiberglass and we used a peel and stick vinyl plank flooring from Trafficmaster ( available at Home Depot). It's great stuff, comes in planks, waterproof, peel and stick so no messing with glue and once it sets, it holds really well, no worries of it coming up. It looks great, it's supposed to be really durable and even has a wood grain feel made into it. It's also really cheap, with quarter round we have about $150 into it with a ton spare material. We couldn't be happier with it.

We really like our fold down table. It's a good size for two people but any more might get a little tight, it was installed by the previous owners. The size is 44" x 16". I'll get you a picture of it down.

Thanks,
Troy

Manny

Oct 5, 2006
Thanks Troy. I need to measure what i was making for the table. Mine feels about right for two people, but no more. The length is limited by the height of the cabin ceiling.
So that flooring isn't slippery at all? Except for the bilge covers, is the whole sole fiberglass or were there any voids that you had to put wood down as a support before laying the flooring?

Manny

Jun 8, 2004
C&C Frigate 36 St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia
Manny -
the sole (floor) of the Hunter 37 Cutter is solid fiberglass. You can see photos of what the interior looks like without all the wood under the "Boat Info" tab, selecting our model and then going to "Owner Mods"...look for the Lonesome Dove posts. I am in the process of renewing my cabin sole, including dealing with water that always seems to find its way to the galley floor, damaging the teak & holly plywood. I will post about it once the repairs are done.

Jun 19, 2018
Hunter 37c Tampa FL
Manny, no the new flooring is not slippery at all, we've been very happy with it. As Jim mentioned the sole is all glass, makes replacing flooring a lot easier.

Manny

Oct 5, 2006
Thank you both, that really helps. I hope to start the sole project this winter. Cosmetically it is the item in most need of attention on mine. Going with something lighter in color would really brighten up the interior.

Jun 19, 2018
Hunter 37c Tampa FL
Figured I'd post a few more pictures of our progress of fixing up and updating our 37C. After a lot of sanding, cleaning, taping and prepping we finished the topside paint and Kiwi Grip non skid on the decks, cabin top and cockpit. We also repainted the hatches and toe rail and spent the better part of two days waxing the hull sides. And more recently after lots of research we picked our new electronics and have finished the install. So far we've been really happy with everything and the Axiom sends all info via wifi to our ipad giving us a repeater for all info down below so that's been a great feature.

Attachments

Mar 29, 2021
Bristol B38.8 3 Fairhaven
My wife and I purchased our 37c hull #36 late last year and only had a short time to do the essentials to get her ready before leaving for the Bahamas. After a great 5 months of cruising we decided to spend hurricane season back near home on the west coast of Florida. Since returning we have spent the last month knocking out a lot of the projects we've wanted to do (new sole, refinished most of the interior wood, replaced original wall paper, removed ALL carpet in storage areas and painted with bilge paint, sorted and tidied up a lot of wiring). We've still got plenty of projects and upgrades to keep us busy over the summer as we wait to head back south this fall but she's coming along nicely, we love this ol boat. Figured I'd share some pictures. View attachment 153986 View attachment 153987 View attachment 153988 View attachment 153989 View attachment 153990
Looks great. How is it holding up? I just bought an 82' 37c tha needs some love and hope it comes out as nice as this.

Aug 25, 2021
Hunter Cherubini 37c Pensacola Beach
Salty Tails, what paint did you use to cover the white parts on your topdeck/ cockpit? I also have a 37c.

I am prepping to do this project soon and also plan to use kiwi grip for non skid.

Apr 27, 2015
Hunter 37 Cutter Perth Amboy
Manny -
the sole (floor) of the Hunter 37 Cutter is solid fiberglass. You can see photos of what the interior looks like without all the wood under the "Boat Info" tab, selecting our model and then going to "Owner Mods"...look for the Lonesome Dove posts. I am in the process of renewing my cabin sole, including dealing with water that always seems to find its way to the galley floor, damaging the teak & holly plywood. I will post about it once the repairs are done.
I have the same problem. Will be doing the same this winter 2021. Thanks for the info on the planking I will certainly look into that for my sole.