37C Mast Lights

Oct 19, 2013
Hunter 37C 3 Centerport
If anyone has a photo of the wiring hookup for the mast lights at the base off the mast in the bilge, please post it.
I had my mast taken down and I forgot to photograph the connections. Attached here are two images of my current situation.
TIA

Attachments

Jun 8, 2004
C&C Frigate 36 St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia
I don't have a photo, but I can tell you from memory. On the boat side, red is the anchor light at the top of mast, green is the steaming light and purple is the deck light (both of these near the spreaders). the black wires on either end are ground. The 3-conducter wire from the mast goes to the steaming / deck light - black is ground, green goes to green for the steaming light, and white is for the deck light (attaches to purple). The 2-conductor wire goes to the anchor light at the masthead, black is ground and white goes to red. All this assumes that nothing has been changed by some previous owner. The owner's manual, available to download here on SailboatOwners.com, also has this information. Good luck!

Mar 6, 2008
Catalina 1999 C36 MKII #1787 Coyote Point Marina, CA.
It is easy to figure out. Turn on each switch and measure the voltage on the terminal and label that wire. Then take each of the Mast wire and connect to a terminal that has 12v and look which light lights up and label the wire. Finally connect labeled wires to the correct terminal.
Haro

Oct 19, 2013
Hunter 37C 3 Centerport
I don't have a photo, but I can tell you from memory. On the boat side, red is the anchor light at the top of mast, green is the steaming light and purple is the deck light (both of these near the spreaders). the black wires on either end are ground. The 3-conducter wire from the mast goes to the steaming / deck light - black is ground, green goes to green for the steaming light, and white is for the deck light (attaches to purple). The 2-conductor wire goes to the anchor light at the masthead, black is ground and white goes to red. All this assumes that nothing has been changed by some previous owner. The owner's manual, available to download here on SailboatOwners.com, also has this information. Good luck!
Thanks Jim, much appreciated.
BTW, Ive done a ton off projects on this boat, I've photographed it all and will eventually post them...when I get the time.

Oct 19, 2013
Hunter 37C 3 Centerport
It is easy to figure out. Turn on each switch and measure the voltage on the terminal and label that wire. Then take each of the Mast wire and connect to a terminal that has 12v and look which light lights up and label the wire. Finally connect labeled wires to the correct terminal.
Haro
Thanks

Oct 19, 2013
Hunter 37C 3 Centerport
I followed your instructions and everything works perfectly....thx again

Jun 5, 2010
Hunter 25 Burlington NJ
Easiest way to check - connect a length of 18ga zipcord to a battery and touch the ends to each wire/pair to see what lights up.

Day before the mast went up on Diana I thought it'd be a good idea to check the mast wiring and, sure enough, found a bad connection in the Forespar steaming/downlight unit (Diana's blog). The invaluable upside was getting to smartly label them all. When it came time to connect them to the boat/hull wiring, no hassles!

General rule of thumb: LABEL EVERYTHING. I like using white heat-shrink tubing. Write on it first; then heat it up. Hope your hand-lettering (don't use cursive!) is neat enough! - the pen ink will outlive you.