37C Aft keel bolt

Sep 29, 2016
Lord Nelson Lord Nelson 35 3 Full time cruiser
IMG_20191120_162818_01.jpg

Well that sucks. What you're looking at there is a pit that has corroded into the aft keel bolt (the one that is commonly under water). I have owned this boat for about five years and I've always manually pumped out the standing water whenever I left the boat. The plan is to haul out and sister in a new bolt (probably bronze) by drilling down from inside the bilge and then in from the side of the keel to intersect the first hole, then chiseling the intersecting hole into a square pocket large enough to get a backing plate and nut on, then after placing the new bolt and hardware in filling and fairing the pocket with thickened epoxy. This method was described by Don Casey in an article in Sail magazine.

Oct 6, 2007
Hunter H30 1982 Chicago IL
I looked up and read Casey’s article. Sounds like a good plan. Good luck and please post photos of this project.

Mar 29, 2017
Hunter 30t 9805 littlecreek
I don't see I mean there's a little corrosion on threads but that thing was over engineered in first place. On hull out take a file to straighten threads pull nut off and if no reverse keel smile put some 5200 in hole and put nut back on and tork to 300 ft lbs. And call it good

Sep 29, 2016
May be hard to see in the picture but there is actually a half pea-sized piece of the bolt missing. By the way the torque spec on those keel bolts is only 132 foot pounds.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
I don't see I mean there's a little corrosion on threads but that thing was over engineered in first place. On hull out take a file to straighten threads pull nut off and if no reverse keel smile put some 5200 in hole and put nut back on and tork to 300 ft lbs. And call it good
Put 5200 on the hole in the bolt? That doesn’t sound right to me.

Greg

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
The material loss is restricted to the top side of the nut on the male thread? I'd pull that nut off and look at the condition of the rest of the threads inside that nut. If they are OK then that keel bolt is still good. The threads above the nut don't have any load bearing function. You do have to stabilize the corrosion so it doesn't continue down the stud. So if the threads inside the nut on the stud, well also the nut threads, are good then what you are proposing is unnecessary in my opinion.

dj

Sep 29, 2016
The material loss is restricted to the top side of the nut on the male thread? I'd pull that nut off and look at the condition of the rest of the threads inside that nut. If they are OK then that keel bolt is still good. The threads above the nut don't have any load bearing function. You do have to stabilize the corrosion so it doesn't continue down the stud. So if the threads inside the nut on the stud, well also the nut threads, are good then what you are proposing is unnecessary in my opinion.

dj
I have considered this. I don't know how I'd feel about removing that nut in the water though. So since I would be hauling out to check it I would probably just go ahead and sister in the other bolt.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
Sure you know how you feel - nervous as hell! Who wants to unscrew a keel bolt with the keel hanging off it in the water! LOL

If you had no other choice you could do it, buy heck, if you can just pull the boat, no need.

I'd still look at it though. If the damage is only above the nut, that's a lot of unecessary work....But as they say, your boat, your choice....

dj

Oct 6, 2007
Hunter H30 1982 Chicago IL
When I zoom in to the photo on my iPad, it appears that the corrosion of the bolt extends well below the top of the nut. I would not trust that bolt. In fact, I wouldn’t be surprised if it sheers off with the first try at backing the nut off. Sistering in a new bolt is the prudent thing to do.