376 Chainplate/Bolts

Feb 24, 2024
Hunter 376 South Dartmout
Upon recent inspection I noticed a clear gap under the port chainplate of our 1996 Hunter 376.

Any owners have a procedure for tightening to spec? What is spec? Any recommended tools?

Previous posters have recommended a crowfoot wrench or head. This seems the most promising route.

Any guidance on the procedure and whether the rig needs to be down or slacked to be done properly would be most helpful.

In the photo you will see butyl tape to prevent water ingress.

tempImageNSdYEB.jpg

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
hard to tell -has the chainplates moved from its normal position? It appears so. If correct, I would be concerned with what is securing it to the hull. Above the WL, the hull is cored which means you should check if water has penetrated to the core.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
hard to tell -has the chainplates moved from its normal position? It appears so.
The image is telling only a part of the story. It is a good start. You need to clean out the Butyl. Expose the area of the chainplate to hull. And then determine how to make it secure to the hull. You also want to affirm tha tht echainplate is not showing any pit corrosion.

I would tie a halyard and take up the strain for the shroud, then ease the shroud counting the number of turns needed to ease the strain on the chain plate.

Once I can see how it is being held and assure that the chainplate is intact, no elongation to the bolt holes that secure it to the deck. I would then secure the chainplate to the hull. There are specs for tightening bolts based on their size. I would be sure there is adequate backing on the inside. You want the chainplate to be secure, able to hold the mast in place and unable to move when under strain of sails.

The unknown under the butyl is a concern.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Chainplates only pass through the deck, the important issue is how they are tied to the hull structure. The gap you see at the deck level is a symptom of a deeper issue which lies beneath the deck and the manner in which the chainplate is tied to the hull.

Can you get photos of the chainplate on the inside of the cabin and how it passes through the deck and is attached to the hull structure?

Feb 24, 2024
Hunter 376 South Dartmout
Images from inside the boat attached for reference. Further inspection is needed but from what I can tell there are no soft spots in or around the area.
tempImagerdYbEx.jpg
tempImageVQyJWn.jpg