373 propane locker capacity

ToddS

Sep 11, 2017
Beneteau 373 Cape Cod
I'm looking to buy a new propane tank (or two) and I'm wondering how big I can go and still have it fit (without modification) in the propane locker on my 373. The boat is hours away, so I'd rather not make that drive to measure, and I Defender has a decent sale this weekend. I think what I have now is +/- 10 lbs, but I'm wondering if there's enough play to fit a 17lb Viking tank in there. Any 373 owners out there with propane tanks bigger than my 10lb aluminum tank? I won't do steel, but would be open to either aluminum or composite. Thanks.

ToddS

Sep 11, 2017
Beneteau 373 Cape Cod
The only tank that will fit is a 10 pounder
That's what I suspect... but I was hoping someone might have tried bigger with success... It looks like the 17 pounders from Viking on Defender's website are about 1.5 inches taller (probably okay) and 1.5 inches wider (probably not okay)... bummer. Have you tried bigger and failed? Do you have a 373?

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
Have you tried bigger and failed? Do you have a 373?
I have not tried a larger tank. My boat is a 323 with the propane locker in the starboard aft corner of the cockpit. The sleeve inside the locker is sized for the 10 pound tank.
I have had the boat since 2004 and have-neither filled the propane tank nor used the stove.

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
I have a 423 and only the 10lb tank fits..... I tried to buy bigger but no go......

Greg

2DAF0608-4FE7-412C-800F-B2C784CF8CC3.jpeg

Jan 5, 2017
Beneteau First 38 Lyall Harbour Saturna Island
I don't know how you guys survive with just 10#s. We have 2x20# and it's not enough for our trips!

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
I don't know how you guys survive with just 10#s. We have 2x20# and it's not enough for our trips!
Crazy....... we have one 10. Spend every weekend on boat (Friday-Sunday) from mid April to November. Go away for a about 3.5 weeks during summer and we cook significant meals, make coffee every morning...... we go thru 1.5 tanks. Very efficient....

Greg

Jun 2, 2004
Beneteau 393 Lake Texoma, Texas
The 393 has locker for two 10 lb tanks-nothing larger will fit. We are not live aboards, but are frequent weekenders year around and only use little more than one tank a year.

ToddS

Sep 11, 2017
Beneteau 373 Cape Cod
Thanks all... I actually happened to be at the boat last week, and busted out a tape measure to double-check, and everyone is exactly correct... there's no way to go bigger. It wasn't so much that I needed the extra capacity (one tank lasts me through my sailing season (2-3 weeks of cruising, plus most summer weekends), but my tank is expired, and I saw some cool composite replacement tanks on sale at defender... with a little clear window to SEE what the fuel level is. The only problem is that they're about an inch too big (diameter) to fit. So aluminum it is. My wife did find a filling station that was lax/oblivious/careless about the expiration dates, and so I'll have enough for this season. I might need a new 10#er next year for a couple hundred bucks, or maybe yet another visit to the same station... I'm not terribly worried about the tank failing... aluminum and kept out of the weather seems WAY more trustworthy than my home gas grill's steel tank sitting out in the weather year round. I'll risk the expired refill I think.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
Your tank can be inspected and stamped renewed. You will need a current tank overfill device.