37 with 2peice mast

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 9, 2005
Beneteau 373 Baltimore
just bought a seidelmann 37, wanted to know if they have 2 peice mast ? mine has has . wanted to know if other 37's have 2peice mast. also nice big boat lots of room down below.fast ...

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
Islander/Wayfairer 30 sail number 25 Perryville,Md.
I guess it could happen but

I doubt that they planned it that way. Seems like it would tend to bend in the middle.

Aug 9, 2005
Beneteau 373 Baltimore
Yes mine has a two piece mast

Yes my mast is two peice; it has 32 flush screws holding the two pieces together. I had an event a few months ago where the Port shroud fell off the spreader and the mast bent over pretty good. I think the joint might have been stronger than the rest of the mast.

D

David

2 piece mast

Hi, The two piece mast was factory. Kenylon i believe. That is the way they are, not sure why, but I have not had any problems. 1980 Seidelmann 37

D

David Utzschneider

2 PIECE MAST

My 1980 S37 also has 2 piece mast. When I did some work on the boom and faxed the boom cross section profile to rig rite or ?metalmast in connecticutt they identified it as an australian spar manufacturer (?shearwater) that's been out of business for some time. i think the builders then and now shop around for parts and will use different component manufacturers depending on the price du jour.

Sep 17, 2006
- - mobile
seidelmann

We just bought a seidelmann 37 in NJ and will be going there next week to bring it home to the deep south of Louisiana. I don't know a lot about sailing and this is all new to me but my boyfriend, is the sailor and we look forward to seeing all the sights along the way including the Great Dismal Swamps. I hope you have as much fun with yours as we plan on having with ours.

May 11, 2005
Seidelman S37 Slidell, La.
S37 Mast

We just bought an S37, 1981 model, and it has a two piece mast.

Red

Oct 16, 2006
- - USA
It was probably a cheapout

I've heard the same thing from a number of sources: A spliced mast means that someone couldn't afford the price of a one-piece stick (in this case, if that was normal on the S37 that was factory cost cutting) which has to be shipped as over$ize freight. If these came from Oz, they would have been much cheaper if they fit in a standard 40' cargo cube and then standard motor freight. Replacement masts are sometimes ordered this way when folks need a mast and can't arrange shipping for a one-piece stick at a reasonable price. (Meaning, enough of them at one time to order up a truckload on an extra length truck. 30? 50? masts at once? The drawback is that the splice is a hard point in the column, you can't have a bendy mast. And, you've got extra weight aloft. But done properly, yes, it should be perfectly strong. Red

Status
Not open for further replies.