37' cc Compression Post

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 16, 2009
Irwin 37 CC Kemah, Texas
Worked 3 days to uncover the compression post on my 1980 37' and had some bad news: severe corrosion and pitting on the bottom 8" or so (from the iron step, of course). The step, though rusted, probably has quite a few years left; there doesn't seem to be any sag in the bolts that hold it to the bulkheads; but the post is another--disturbing--matter. I think the easiest, least expensive fix is to have an aluminum sleeve welded around the bottom, say 15" high, with a dialectic material between it and the step (I'd have to support/jack up the mast to do this, though, which wouldn't be easy).

I first thought of replacing the post and the step but that would mean unstepping the mast, not to mention the cost of fabricating both which one alum. guy estimated would be around $1,000. It's just too much money when this wasn't even on my original 'to-do' list.

Any comments or suggestions?

Jul 29, 2009
Irwin 37 c.c. Cutter indian rocks beach, fl.
On the IrwinYachts.com web site there is a good picture of an exposed c/p base, it's on a 65 footer but is comparable. Scroll to the bottom of the page to enter site and look for restorations, done by the original builders. On my 74, it is enclosed in fiberglas and is still solid. If you loosen the stays and take the boom and sails off, reducing the weight, you may not have to demast. Just cut some wood to support the inside of the deck at the sides of the mast. When I checked mine for compression of the mast step, I found it had only settled 1/8 inch. I used a 2 ton floor jack and that is as far as I could raise the ceiling. Unless you are ocean cruising you could probably just reinforce the base that is in there. Do you have any pics?

Jul 29, 2009
Irwin 37 c.c. Cutter indian rocks beach, fl.
The posts on mine are wooden 2x4's(actual size, teak?) and the step is aluminum. Aluminum and fiberglas under the floor, between the floor and the hull. The posts just sit on the floor and the mast step is bolted from the top down into the posts. Everything is still very solid.

Status
Not open for further replies.