36mk1

Status
Not open for further replies.

loos1

Oct 31, 2010
Pearson 28-1 Warwick Cove
I'm looking at a 1988 Catalina 36MK1. I'm well aware of Catalina's great reputation. I'm a little concerned with the hull keel joint as it is weeping greenish crust which suggest to me galvanic corrosion. I repaired the hull keel joint on my Pearson which was cosmetic. Is this model known for the same problem? Am looking for all comments as what I should be concerned with this model and vintage. I've had a couple of A-4s but no diesel experience except bareboats. The Universal <1000hrs. Are the stanchions and deck hardware mounted through balsa core or solid glass?
Thanks in advance
Lou

Jun 3, 2004
Catalina 400 MkII Noank, CT
Lou,
There is nothing in the hull/keel joint that should weep "greenish crust". There's only a lead keel and SS keel bolts (no brass or bronze). Catalinas sometimes develop a "Catalina Smile" if they are blocked incorrectly (too much weight on the aft end of the keel), or if they have been seriously grounded. Except for a hard grounding, the smile is cosmetic. The Universal M25XP (23 hp) is a very good engine. <1000 hours for an '88 is practically brand new. Check to make sure the wiring harness upgrade has been done, along with the alternator bracket upgrade. Details can be found on the C36 website, www.c36ia.com. The hulls are solid glass, and the decks are cored with plywood. Lack of maintenance might cause leaking at chainplates or stanchions. I owned an '87 C36 for 18 years, and it was an awesome boat. It did everything well. Not superlative, but good solid performance and tons of room. Incredible owner support thru the owner's association. Hope this helps.

loos1

Oct 31, 2010
Pearson 28-1 Warwick Cove
Thanks for the reply Tom,
I just came from looking at the boat with the broker. Unfortunately I didn't see your reply beforehand. The interior is in great shape, and well conceived. The Dinette cushions were a little wet on the PORT side. I did notice that the Chainplates and 1 stanchion on the PORT side looked like they were caulked with silicone(ugh). Didn't see this on the other stanchions so I'm thinking they've chased this leak before. The engine is clean but I've no idea if the upgrades were done. Sails serviceable, electronics dated, bilge what I expected. Green crust might be copper in the paint. Maybe worth a survey.
Thanks again,
Lou

Status
Not open for further replies.