36cc Autopilot Factory Installation

bmiley

Mar 3, 2021
Beneteau 36CC Boston
I am in the process of installing a raymarine st5000+ autopilot in my 36cc and was hoping some other owners could help with some of the installation details. It's pretty clear that the boat was designed with this autopilot as a factory or dealer option because the rudder arm is predrilled for the rudder reference sensor.

Does anyone with a 36cc mind taking some pictures or describing a few key areas of their autopilot setup?

The main areas I have questions about are the mounting of the rudder reference sensor, the pump mounting, and how the pump is plumbed in at the cylinder side and helm. I would like to make my installation as close to factory as possible so any info would be very appreciated

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
Usually the autopilot is dealer installed...
That being said, It could be installed any number of different ways. My 323 has an ST6000 (?) hydraulic autopilot. The cylinder is through bolted to the transom with a backing plate on the exterior side. the rod is attached to the rudder quadrant. In my case the rudder position sensor is actually mounted upside down, and the left-right sensor wires are reversed at their attachment points to the course computer which is mounted under the aft cabin bunk. The fluxgate compass is fairly close to the hull centerline inside the aft cabin locker.. The hydraulic pump is located in the starboard lazerette on a shelf at the transom. Its a clean installation an has been trouble free for 15 years.
Sorry that I do not have pictures with me. They are in Michigan, and I’m in Virginia.

bmiley

Mar 3, 2021
Beneteau 36CC Boston
Hi Doug, thanks for the reply. My 36cc has hydraulic steering already (helm of the center cockpit is not conducive for cable steerimg) so I need to tee into that system for the pressure lines and run a return line up to the helm reservoir. I already found a good location and installed the fluxgate compass.

I think the position sensor will need to be mounted upside down with a bracket coming down from the rudder deck brace piece shown in the pic below, but there may be other options that I am just not seeing. You can see the holes in the top of the rudder arm where the position sensor spherical post will attach. So I'm assuming beneteau had an optional bracket to mount the sensor itself.

PXL_20210314_180518459.jpg
PXL_20210314_180518459.jpg

bmiley

Mar 3, 2021
Beneteau 36CC Boston
Any other 36cc owners out there? I have a couple custom brackets designed for the rudder sensor and pump but would still like to see how the factory or dealers did it.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
Not a 36cc, but here’s how the factory did it on our 37 -
019C2CD4-35FD-409D-A664-A01FBA301059.jpeg

1616150694958.jpeg

1616150469811.jpeg

1616150415254.jpeg

The rudder position sensor and linear ram arm both mount to a bracket affixed to the stock. The ram is bolted onto an L shaped bracket affixed to the bulkhead at the front of the aft lazarette. There’s a big backing plate on the other side of the bulkhead, and next to that is a shelf where the pump sits.

bmiley

Mar 3, 2021
Beneteau 36CC Boston
@Davidasailor26 Thanks for the pics and description, definitely helpful to see how things were arranged on another similarly sized boat. There's a few details that I may copy or at least do something similar. Looks like a pretty clean install.