360 Vancouver Island 2022 Cruise

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Yes a New and Improved post COVID adventure.

There is no time like the present to prepare for the future. Sure Canada is still only for Canadians, but one can dream. I have a coupe of friends north of the border who are keeping their ear to the ground hopefully they hear good news and we can venture forth

If you are a dreamer come join me in discussing the idea of Cruising Around Vancouver Island.

I am currently looking at untying the lines the beginning of June 2022 from the Port of Everett, provisioned and ready to sail to Victoria CA. Victoria is the start and finish of this Cruise as currently planned.

It is about 330 nm along the Inside Passage from Victoria to Bull Harbor at the north end of the Island. Bull Harbor is the jumping off point, the beginning of the Vancouver Island West Side - Pacific Ocean sailing. It is where we cross the Nahwitti Bar, round Cape Scott, pick up the Pacific swell and sail 54 nm to Winter Harbor. A favorable weather and tide window is important here for this 55 nm day. Based on the 2022 tidal charts, 20 June 2022 is the optimal morning to start this West Side leg of the journey.

The West side of Vancouver Island features a series of fjords and Coastal Ocean passages. It is the land of the First Nation, a journey back in time.

This is intended to be an open, join as you will, depart on your schedule adventure.

I'll layout a strategy for the cruise. Provide a routing and stops of interest along the way. Having fun, weather and tidal current passages will be limiting factors. While it is possible to race around the island in say 10-14 days, I am telling my wife that my sail plan is somewhere between 45 and 60 days. That allows for time to smell the seaweed and sip some local beers. Further, if there is a nice hike to take or a hot tub to relax in, I plan to participate in those activities.

If you want to join a boat as crew and the skipper is in agreement (contact the skipper so that you can be assured a bunk). This is a non sponsored activity and all skippers are in charge of their own boat and crew.

Along the way there will be access to local transportation, be it ferry, bus or plane. With an understanding of our basic route and general "port of call" dates travel arrangements can be made between you and an accommodating skipper.

Well that is the 2022 plan beginnings. If you participated in the previous thread and would like to join the 2022 adventure with a boat or as crew drop me a PM. If your boat needs or wants a crew member also send me a PM. We will try and organize a list of boats with potential crew. Provide the info to all and then you can reach out and make arrangements.

Regarding the 2020 thread, It will remain available to review (find it here 360 Vancouver Island 2020 Cruise Closed SEE 360 Vancouver Island 2022 Cruise) but no longer will it be open to comment.

Let the games begin.

Dec 28, 2015
Laser, Hunter H30 Cherubini Tacoma
I’ve heard good news the other day on the radio regarding opening the waters mid June of this year.

Oct 22, 2014
May the news be true. Not fake :yikes:.
Getting my hopes up.
Getting my boat ready.
Canada Day.
July 1st.
Wonder if the Royal Mounties will come out riding their horse wearing their formal dress red uniforms.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
John, I am most definitively interested! I may even be retired by then and not have a bloody schedule!!!!! We'll see how the finances on that one work out!

dj

leo310

Dec 15, 2006
Catalina 310 44 Campbell River BC
Now that it looks like we will be open next year. Should we look at planning the 360 trip again?

Oct 22, 2014
YES!
I am in the planning stages. It will be in early June that I hope to cross the border. I am looking for the data form the Canadian Hydrological Service to state the tide times for 2022. I am guessing that we will want to be in Bull Harbour about the 28th to take advantage of the tide currents and long day light hours for the 50nm trip around Cape Scott to the next planned anchorage in Quotsino Sound.

Now there is an alternative site just south of Cape Scott - Sea Otter Cove. Ok but a bit open to the Westerly swell. So it has not been the first choice.

Here is an interesting link to "21 Night on Van Isle's West Coast".

Oct 22, 2014
Hi all.
I note in my reading this morning that the Canadian Truckers are camping out in Ottawa trying to get the government to listen to reason regarding vaccinations. That several countries in Europe are limiting tourists to only those having a booster shot within 270 days or even double booster-ed.

All this smacks of the historical events surrounding the Black Plague, or the small pox epidemics.

There is no way to know if we will be able to cross the border let alone cruise around the island.

That said, I am still planning for the opportunity should it present itself. My goal is to arrive in Victoria in the first week of June. Check into Canada. Spend a night and begin cruising the next day up the inside passage. The goal still is to be at the north end of the island by the 24th of June. Positioned to leave Bull Harbor and round Cape Scott on the best weather window the week of June 26th. Tidal currents and daylight hours are optimal for the rounding and cruising the approximate 50 nm to Winter Harbor.

Looking at the cruising guides, there are a few options to do this leg in two steps, but if weather is agreeable this long jump appears to be the best plan.

The alternatives has stops along "Experiment Bight", anchoring in "Guise Bay", "Hansen Bay" or "Sea Otter Cove" once around Cape Scott. Each has shallow water (2 meters), open to the south and approach issues but are potential sites as duck in anchorages should conditions dictate.

I am open to all ideas and thoughts.

Think good thoughts that politician and science will permit us to cruise this summer.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Good grief, this Covid thing just never goes away. If nots one thing, it's another. Let's hope for the best!

dj

Last edited:

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Like in this story with video near Comox of a whale playing from 2018

The. Whales up there can get pretty engaging.
Perhaps it's a whale of a conspiracy with the orca's off the Coast of Spain spreading out their influence! At least just playing with anchor lines isn't as destructive as breaking rudders!

dj

Oct 22, 2014
Perhaps it is a reflection of the rebellious nature that is in the culture. You see the Canadian Truckers politely driving across the country celebrating their independent nature from BC to Ottawa.

On the Euro Continent they can be a bit more disruptive. Perhaps the whales react the same as their legged friends.