360 Vancouver Island 2020 Cruise Closed SEE 360 Vancouver Island 2022 Cruise

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
HI THERE SAILORS
It has been 21 months since we developed the idea of sailing around Vancouver Island with SBO members.
While the plan looked promising and plans for participation were high, the thing called COVID destroyed our quest. It set us on the sidelines and disturbed our lives.

All hope or dream for this adventure was not dashed. Just sidelined.

I am now again tossing the idea to the members about sailing the waters around Vancouver Island in 2022.

We developed a lot of shared info here. So for a bit of house keeping -
  • Should we start a new thread or carry on with this one?
Looking at the Cape Scott tide levels (one of the critical points on the journey) the days around 20 June 2022 appear to provide a most favorable tide for rounding the Cape and sailing the 50 nm from Bull Harbor to Quatsino Sound during daylight hours. With this in mind, planning for 20-30 nm legs up the inside passage from Victoria, we would need to start about June 1st 2022. That is a rough idea. We could move the date out a week but that would necessitate longer days and faster sailing through the Gulf Islands and Johnson Straight. My goal is to explore the waters not race around the Island.

All of this is based on the Canadian Government accepting visitors. I have friends who just made quick dash - "Transit" - from Anacortes WA to Ketichkan AK in their trawler. They were up early each morning and quit late each day to meet the intent of non recreational transit.

Let me know your thoughts. This is an adventure I am destined to explore. Doing it with friends would be all that more exciting.

Nov 21, 2012
Yamaha 33 Port Ludlow, WA
John, my interest remains high.

It might make sense to start a new thread, but I have no strong opinion either way. As long as we go.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
I agree, new thread or this one, doesn't matter to me. Keep the conversation going and let's see how it plays out. Might be retired by your projected date! Yet to be determined!

dj

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
I am now again tossing the idea to the members about sailing the waters around Vancouver Island in 2022.
Grand idea and count me in. Mid June would be my best departure date, but could catch up. What do we do in the meantime, just sail?

Tedd

Jul 25, 2013
TES 246 Versus near Vancouver, BC
@jssailem ,

I won't be ready for such a trip by 2022, but it is on my bucket list so I want to stay in touch about it in case it happens again a few years from now.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Absolutely. Anything is possible. If the Border opens maybe we can share some of the same water or at least a beer.

Tedd

Jul 25, 2013
TES 246 Versus near Vancouver, BC
@jssailem , I'm just a short drive from either Point Roberts or Blaine. Once this Covid business is behind us, let me know if you're in the area.

• Helpful

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
John, your choice on this thread or a new one. My only suggestion, one you have probably already thought about, is if you start a new thread you put a link in it to this one as there is some great research here already.

Put me down for the entire trip in 2022. Very exciting!

leo310

Dec 15, 2006
Catalina 310 44 Campbell River BC
John, looks like the trip may be on if the boarder opens. Just a note you may want to think about spending a few days in Comox in mid May as the Snowbirds practice here for 2 weeks, so free airshow twice a day.

YVRguy

Jan 10, 2013
Hunter 34 Vancouver, BC
My co-owner and I plan on doing the circumnavigation next year as well. Like last time it will be difficult to coordinate my schedule with this group but at a minimum I appreciate the opportunity to participate in the discussion and sharing of ideas. My vote would be to maintain the existing thread in order to preserve the useful info already posted.

Status
Not open for further replies.