360 Vancouver Island 2020 Cruise Closed SEE 360 Vancouver Island 2022 Cruise

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 5, 2017
Beneteau First 38 Lyall Harbour Saturna Island
@YVRguy , looks like we will miss you in Princess Louisa too. We are headed that way tomorrow and have to be back to Langdale by the 18th. Passengers with schedules! Not sure if we’ll come home after that or just pick somewhere else to go. Depends on how quickly things open up I guess.

Dec 28, 2015
Laser, Hunter H30 Cherubini Tacoma
Forever! :yikes:

Darn well better not stay closed for much longer this year! I have an unused $165 (USD) Washington State Marine Park permit sitting down below. That’s worth somethin’ like $9,000 (CAD). I got some catchin’ up to do I want to tell you.
I’ll use it for you.

• Helpful
Jan 5, 2017
A mix of motoring,sailing and motor-sailing to get up to Porlier Pass this morning then a great sail across to Gibson’s ( 6.5 to 8.0 kts.)
C9175515-3D08-4D76-A52A-D0864FF2D398.jpeg Tried a new ( for me) way to carry the dingy, seemed to work very well.
56674C5F-BA15-475B-AA40-C6B38E598F34.jpeg Sure a lot better than dragging it behind and I gain about 0.8 kts.under power.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Looks pretty creative.
Rides well?
0.8 improvement in boat speed. Cool.

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Nice pics, Michael. Dislike dragging our dinghy, too. Rest ours on the transom similar to yours. Easy to launch and stow. Like to see a pic or two to show how you secure it.

Hope the border opens on June 21 as the rumor mill reports.

Just got back from a few days out around the islands. A few boats, but still pretty thin. Need to finish some home projects before any serious time on the water.

Jan 5, 2017
Hi @Terry Cox , this was a bit of an experiment so nothing is permanent.E941E211-9CE7-471A-9714-8A5E9A649C51.jpeg0593BD73-252A-4822-9B9F-E28E37BD2C03.jpegA87DBE71-C4E6-4707-9DB9-63C94245A4E8.jpeg
In the first image I had the lines straight back and the boat shifted about 3 inches during the crossing. Second image shows a blue line that goes around the dinghy.
Third image shows the pulley on the backstay and the eye bolt in the bow of the dinghy. Now that I know this is a safe way to transport it I’ll figure a way to make it stronger and safer. Weight of the dinghy is sitting on the standoffs for the boarding ladder.

Apr 5, 2009
Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs Oak Harbor, WA
There is a company that make a commercial version of this which looks pretty easy to duplicate. They use big wheels that push the rings out when there is no swim platform.

Jan 5, 2017
That looks pretty easy Hayden. I’ll give it some serious study and see what I can adapt. Thanks

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
I worked out a system of bringing the RIB aboard that is admittedly imperfect:what:, and stowing it on the foredeck which is closer to perfection.:doh: I use a 6:1 block & fall attached to the spinnaker halyard that is set to adjust the height of clearance coming aboard. I hoist the dink level, "right-side-up", using a four-point attachment bridle fixed to the manufacturer's attachment points inboard of the tubes. With the painter secured forward near the anchor, I can hoist it fairly easily. The attached painter keeps it forward of the mast as it comes up. The imperfect part is that it slides up the topsides, then along the lifeline, so when it clears it wants to immediately swing inboard; so I stand up by the bow or at the mast. With some finesse I can lower it to the deck to check the swing. I quickly remove and reattach the block to an outboard stern rope secured between two eyes on the transom, hoist it by the stern; then stop off the line to a low mast jam cleat that I installed. I then go forward and flip the dink over using the hand grip at the bow. Now it's inverted. I lower it to the deck and secure. It's a little bit easier to deploy by doing the reverse of what I described. If the boat is steady, I can do the recovery or deployment task in about ten minutes, maybe less, not counting the time used to cover/uncover & tie/untie the dink. The 6:1 block and fall stays attached to the halyard secured at the mast so it's always ready to go; a dedicated piece of gear. If the boat is rocking or jerking much, it takes longer. So in calm, sheltered anchorages where the boat is steady, it's a simple task.:dancing:

Please note the advantages compared to what one typically does. That is, to raise the dink vertically by the bow using the the spin halyard, and cranking the halyard winch. This is slow, hard work for the person at the winch. It takes two persons to do this. By the time the dink clears the life lines it is a huge pendulum, that now is lowered onto the deck. The method I describe takes one person on the block and fall, who is forward at the mast. The 6:1 purchase means I can raise and lower the dink by small amounts to position it using one arm/hand. The other I can use to hold on to the boat, or to steady the dink. I can do this task by myself in the morning while Admiral is making breakfast!:) If I'm out by myself I can do it alone then as well; and I have.

If you do not wish to leave the dink in the water at night, you can hoist it up the topsides to the gunnel and secure it. It's completely out of the water. I think you could do this faster than lifting by davits. You could do it with the engine attached by adjusting the legs of the bridle so there is more lift at the dink's stern. You can get underway with the dink fixed like that. I would not try to cross the Georgia Strait, but I might go a few miles in sheltered water. What's more, you can deploy the dink while underway when it is up like that. Just lower back to the water and release (i.e., quick release) from the bridle. Just make sure the painter is attached to the yacht. Now you're towing. So easy. I've done all of these things.

Far cheaper than installing davits, plus a much more versatile way to manage the 9 -10 ft inflatable RIB on a 38 - 40 ft sailboat.

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2017
@Kings Gambit , we tried the foredeck before. Unfortunately we have a baby stay that shortens the usable space on deck and makes it a bit iffy to access the anchor windlass or mooring lines With the dinghy there. With the large tumble home we have I think davits would have to be too long. I’m a bit surprised this arrangement worked as well as it did. Sea state was about a 2 to 3 foot chop and we were heeled to 15* . We got some water on deck but the dinghy stayed dry.

Nov 21, 2012
Yamaha 33 Port Ludlow, WA
Claire and I headed out yesterday for our circumnavigation of Whidbey Island. We just completed a major electrical overhaul and it was time for some sailing at last. Light winds leaving Port Ludlow at noon, all the way to Clinton. They really picked up north of there. Heading for Elger Bay, we had to put a reef in just before we got there. Dropped anchor around 8:30 pm.

Apr 5, 2009
Claire and I headed out yesterday for our circumnavigation of Whidbey Island. We just completed a major electrical overhaul and it was time for some sailing at last. Light winds leaving Port Ludlow at noon, all the way to Clinton. They really picked up north of there. Heading for Elger Bay, we had to put a reef in just before we got there. Dropped anchor around 8:30 pm.
Making a practice lap is a great idea. You can meet us up at Cornet Bay on Saturday;) morning 7/11/20 and make the loop again in the Round Whidbey Race.

Nov 21, 2012
We're back. Had a really fun and interesting sail around the island. Anchored at Elger Bay, Hope island and Kala Point.The trip needed more time, but the electrical overhaul ate into our cruising time. Everything performed flawlessly, except for the captain. Passed through Deception Pass at slack as planned. Lack of planning brought us to the outgoing ebb greeting the the north wind at Partridge Point. Won't do that again. Then Tosca dragged anchor in Port Townsend Friday night when the wind picked up and we were having pizza on shore. We were forced to chase her down under oars in the dinghy and 20+ kts of wind. Naughty girl, trying to escape like that. She's a spirited one.

Hayden, that's tempting but previous commitments won't let it happen. Can't wait to do it again though.

Nov 21, 2012
@Hayden Watson , tell me more about the race. My rules are daylight hours only, a ration of grog issued at sundown, and no sailing before breakfast. Would that work?

Apr 5, 2009
Here is the Round Whidbey Race web site. The race starts at 10:00am 7/11/20 and must be completed by 3:00pm on 7/12/20. There is nothing in the rules that says you must keep sailing and I have anchored off Possession Point on several occasions waiting for the current to let me pass.

Status
Not open for further replies.