35s5 Backstay Adjuster

Apr 29, 2012
Beneteau 35s5 bristol ri
I'm looking for a manual backstay adjuster for my 1990 Beneteau 35s5. The pin is 10mm. Any suggestions?

Thanhs!
Thetone

Ted

Jan 26, 2005
C&C 110 Bay Shore, Long Island, NY
At one time Harken offered a high quality backstay adjuster that uses a standard winch handle to add or reduce tension to your backstay. There's one listed for sale in the "Classified Gear Ads" section on this site.

Here's a good review of some other manual adjusters.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I use this backstay adjuster. It is manual.
all I could find was a 12 mm pin. They may make others. It is by Wichard. Works great on my mast head boat.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
A picture might help for those of us outside the .Bene 34s5 sphere. Your budget might also be helpful. Finally, how do you see it being used. Are you wanting to race or just increase your sail trim options. Race boats use the backstay adjuster A LOT!,, like every point of sail, every weather and sea state condition, every headsail type.... all have settings.. so an easy operating, powerful system is a must. The wheel type (which I have on my masthead rigged boat) is very powerful, but is slow to operate. The hydraulic type is very powerful and pretty quick to operate, plus it can be easily preset. The mechanical type, such as the winch handle type mentioned by Ted is interesting, you don't see them that much. On a 35 footer, with a full roach main and a big genoa but NO runners.. you're gonna need a powerful piece of kit. 6 , 8, 10, 12 to one system with dyneema (or wire) in the tackle for example.

Mar 20, 2016
Beneteau 351 WYC Whitby
Your Boat originally came with a Barbarossa mechanical backstay that uses winch handle......try Ebay

Sep 24, 2021
Beneteau 35s5 Telegraph hrbr Thetis Island
We have a 3-part cascade in wire with a 6 part tackle on that.. with the cleating block up high for easy access... works fine.
IMG_1284.JPG
IMG_1285.JPG
IMG_1366.JPG