350 cavitation

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Michael Bourassa

I have read all the posts on the cavitation / vibration problem. I have a 2004 boat thats 6 months old and has 45 hours on the engine. What I didn't find in any of the posts was when running the engine at 2000+ rpms does your wheel shimmie in your hand like a car with an alignment problem. Mine does this, is this a symptom of the problem? Does anyone else's wheel shimmie at high rpm's? The dealer says its cavitation. I've never had a boat do this. Michael Bourassa Inamorata #148

B

Bill

Prop wash

It is the prop wash going accross the rudder. It is more noticable at certian speed than others, and most noticable when the boat is accelerating, forward.

J

John

I have a 350 and have not experienced the cavitation problem others have reported. I get a vibration at around 1,100 rpms which is a normal harmonic of the engine "frequency" and after that, no problem. If your wheel is actually shimmying at and above 2000 rpms, I think you have something wrong other than cavitation.

B

Blair Dehuff

Prop wash

I agree with the comment that the shimmie is prop wash. My 350 has always had very slight steering wheel shimmie when excellerating forward. This is unrelated to the "vibration" issue you mentioned, which is a shaft seal and cutlass bearing problem according to Catalina.

Status
Not open for further replies.