34Mk2 back stay adjustment

robbjd

Nov 17, 2020
Catalina 34Mk II 1344 Sarnia
Our 97, 34MK2 has a typical split backstay to allow access to the swim platform, but has no means of tensioning the back stay other than turnbuckles which are currently as tight as they'll go. Do any of the Mk2 owners have back stay adjustment? There are several 320s here which do have this capability. I have tensioned the rig to 10% of breaking strength of the uppers & lowers but can't get the backstay tighter than ~5%. There are bails for attachment of a tensioner as shown in the attached photo.

Attachments

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Backstay tension is not dependent on shroud tension( which performs a different function). So it is not important to match stay tension to shroud tension. You should consult a rig/mast tuning guide. A backstay adjuster allows you to adjust tension depending on points of sail and related sail trim needs. On a mast head rig the backstay is used to control forestay sag, on a fractional rig the backstay is primarily used to control mast bend. Again, consult a rig/mast tuning guide. Every boat manufacturer will have basic rig tuning info in its owner manual. You will also find rig tuning guides on most sail and spar manufacturers websites.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
My Mark I boat came with a split backstay. i installed a Garhauer adjustable split and made the split much much higher to avoid the head bangers. Raising the split was written up by C34 owners as early as 1987!