34 Rudder

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

David Bangasser

My rudder has broken off at the post at the water line. It happened at the dock and I think lies on the bottom though I haven't found it yet. Questions: 1. What is it made of, how heavy is it and is there a possibility it could float away from the location where it dropped? 2. If I find it does anyone know what it will take to repair it. I can feel the ragged edge of the shaft in the housing and expect I can get the upper part of the shaft off. 3. Would appreciate any diagrams of the rudder and particularly of the connection between the shaft and the rudder. 4. If the rudder can't be found any suggestions on replacement is also appreciated. David Bangasser Bangassers@aol.com 941 235 0026

May 11, 2005
Seidelman S37 Slidell, La.
Rudder

I think you will have to replace the entire rudder. I personally would never trust one that the shaft had been " fixed ". Apparently the Seidelmans, I have one, have a problem with rudder bushings. This could possible allow the rudder to flex in the tube, if the bottom bushing were bad. There are a couple of places that make replacement rudders. Someone on here, I'm sure will have more info. on this, or you can do a search. But be sure to check, replace, the bushings while you have this thing out.

W

Windward

Thanks for your response. The neighbor found my rudder floating down the waterway and pulled it up on shore so at least the rudder is safe for now. I will remove the post and see if it can be reconstructed or replaced. Any suggestions on the removal of the post?

D

David Bangasser

Rudder problems

Thanks for your response. I found the rudder and now have to determine whether it is salvagable. Do you remember the source of the bushings?

Jul 10, 2006
- - Jax,Fla
David; Glad to hear you recovered the rudder blade.Mine was so water logged if it had broken off I was certain it would have headed south.Gettting the old rudder post out is fairly straight forward.You will need to undo the wire cables from the Radial drive head;unbolt the 2 piece drive head[4 bolts]plus one additional thru bolt.I undid the bump stop from the drive head so I could get a little more swing on the rudder post.The rudder post passes thru a stuffing box which has 3 bolts...you need to loosen these bolts.If you are attempting this with the boat in the water and there are 1-2 people on deck aft helping you...the stuffing box maybe close to water level and when the post clears the stuffing box could allow a 3" stream of water to enter your boat and I'd judge cause a puker factor of 10.I removed my rudder with the boat out of the water.I placed a small "plumbers friend" rubber head in my rudder post stuffing box to keep any water from splashing up into the boat when I launch it several months ago sans rudder.Oh by the way, if you get towed to the marina for a haul out, request the towboat use a hip tow.....they towed mine from the bow to start, even after I explained I had no rudder, and the first 50 yards was a whiplash ride Disney E ticket to say the least.They then put my boat on the side of thier towboat and the 4 mile ride to the dock was uneventful. Cheers-Capt.Hawk

Status
Not open for further replies.