34 Morgan 1967 - Crack in the keel - Anyone??

Frill

Sep 29, 2022
Morgan 34 North Sydney
A hair line crack on the keel on both sides. Is this serious or not? Any owners ever seen this before? Any ideas on what I am in for here?
I saw the line in the bottom paint then I exposed it to see the gelcoat with a hair line crack. It must be how the keel is made and assembled from the factory.
Is there anyone with any knowledge about this

Attachments

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Hunter 33 Steamboat Wharf, Hull, MA
Is it a real crack or is it just a crack in the bottom paint? Sometimes the bottom paint will appear to have a crack because it fails to adhere to the sealant used at a factory joint. The proper way to finish such a joint is to apply a few layers of fiberglass cloth and resin over the joint. If that cracks then there has been movement and it needs further investigation.

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
Not having a Morgan, tell us everything you can about the keel:

- material of construction
- factory coating
- your coatings
- etc, etc, etc.

Frill

Sep 29, 2022
Morgan 34 North Sydney
To answer you both, I first noticed it in the bottom paint. I then reveled it by removing the bottom paint. I am down to the original glass and paint where I have exposed it. I can see the inside of this area perfectly and everything looks perfect in there. This is a new boat to me and I have not coated anything on the hull yet. I suppose the proper thing to do is to chase the crack as deep as it goes and "V" it out and fill it back in with fibre glass. On another note there is a hair line crack in the paint on the bow in the center also very similar to this keel line. I am assuming that is from the way the boat was built being in two halves then joining it at the keel. I am not worried about the boat splitting in half or anything, she is solid and no rot in structural areas at all. The seem to be well designed boats to be around after all these years. I don't see many boats from the 60's still floating anymore.

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
I can see the inside of this area perfectly and everything looks perfect in there.
I suppose the proper thing to do is to chase the crack as deep as it goes and "V" it out and fill it back in with fibre glass.
I can't see going any further into repairs if everything looks perfect in there. How thick do you estimate the thickness of the bottom paint and is it hard or ablative ?

Definitely not an everyday occurrence.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Pictures are a valuable tool to do long distance analysis....

Frill

Sep 29, 2022
Morgan 34 North Sydney
I will try and gouge an area of this crack and take another pic to show.