336 Holding Tank Replacement

Sep 4, 2010
Hunter 336 Maquam Shore, VT
In 2012 I posted about replacing the waste holding tank on our 1995 Hunter 336. I want to post a follow-up about the tank we purchased in case someone else needs to replace their tank in the future. We purchased a 30-gallon Ronco tank, model RH-B118. We had to remove the door and door frame from the aft cabin to get it into the boat. We also had the holes drilled in different places.

Aug 11, 2013
Hunter Legend 355 New Bern, NC
In 2012 I posted about replacing the waste holding tank on our 1995 Hunter 336. I want to post a follow-up about the tank we purchased in case someone else needs to replace their tank in the future. We purchased a 30-gallon Ronco tank, model RH-B118. We had to remove the door and door frame from the aft cabin to get it into the boat. We also had the holes drilled in different places.
Hi - Im replacing the holding tank on a 1994 HUnter Legend 355. Not sure how yours is configured, but to go from the head to the tank in the origonal location is about 7 ft, with probably an 18" climb. Seems to me this is not a good design. Im seriously considering putting in a flexible tank 15 gals, in a cavity that is below the head. Everything runs down hill.

Can you tell me how yours is laid out and how its functioning?

Dave aboard Sugar Too
New Bern, NC

Sep 4, 2010
Hi Dave, I am the First Mate and simply ask questions and report results on the forum! I will chat with my husband and relay his opinion. I can say that it's all working great--no more leaks! It doesn't get much better than that!

Sep 4, 2010
Spoke with the Captain!

Our arrangement is that the plumbing for the head goes under the wet-locker and then under the aft berth and comes up into the tank at the stern of the boat on the starboard side. If the 'wall' is removed at the aft side of the mattress you can see the tank. This sounds like the long run and big rise you have in your boat too.

Our head works absolutely fine after duplicating the original design. (As a side, my husband also replaced the hose that runs from the head to the tank). He agrees that the design is a bit crazy too, but duplicated it because it worked, allowed us to keep our 30-gallon tank (a very important thing with 4 people onboard), and thought odor would be less. We don't have experience with a flexible tank but he thought it might be more permeable to odor over the long run. He never plans to replace the tank again! My husband's opinion is that you can pump extra water through the system and still be ahead by having double the tank capacity.

If you search for 'holding tank 336' you will find my original post with comments from other users. You could also search about the flexible tanks. I wish we had taken pictures of all this. Our boat is all wrapped up in a tarp for the winter so I can't post any right now.

Hope that helps! I'm sure there are many opinions about the subject.

Aug 11, 2013
Hunter Legend 355 New Bern, NC
Thank you First Mate Racheal. I will search for your previous posts. Right about the ability to flush out the hose, but me thinks that would put 2 gals in the tank per flush, if you intend on having clean water in the hose after each use. Glad its working for you.

Am really leaning towards the flexi at the moment.. 15gal not much, but it makes the boat legal.

Dave aboard Sugar Too
New Bern, NC

May 28, 2009
Hunter 376 Pensacola, FL
Rachel,

I think since you started this job the shop on this site has now added an H336 holding tank to their list of OEM parts you can order:

http://shop.hunterowners.com/hp/part.php?m=336&c=10&p=52677

Not sure about customizing the tank fittings though - I would assume this one would come with the same setup as the original.

May 24, 2013
hunter 336 bear lake
Wow this is great news. I have the original aluminum tank and was getting paranoid reading all the posts about the questionable aluminum tank. I took the wood pannel off and examined this tank and found it to be in great shape. This possibly because my boat has been in fresh water with little holding tank use over the years but when I eventually will need to replace it its great o know we can just refer to this company and part number. This website is the cats meow!!!!!!!!

Nov 15, 2013
Hunter 336 Berkeley
Hi amystic, with the help of everyone here on the forum (especially Rachel and her husband Doug!) I replaced the holding tank on my 336 last month. I'll post a write up soon. I took lots of pictures. I originally tried to order the OEM tank from this site, two weeks later they emailed saying they couldn't produce the tank. The staff was super apologetic and have promised me a $50 credit for my trouble. I ended up going with the Ronco tank Rachel recommended and it fit just fine.

Feb 1, 2011
sail boat dock
35.5 Tank

Hi - Im replacing the holding tank on a 1994 HUnter Legend 355. Not sure how yours is configured, but to go from the head to the tank in the origonal location is about 7 ft, with probably an 18" climb. Seems to me this is not a good design. Im seriously considering putting in a flexible tank 15 gals, in a cavity that is below the head. Everything runs down hill.

Can you tell me how yours is laid out and how its functioning?

Dave aboard Sugar Too
New Bern, NC
This tank is for the 35.5,used by previous posters. Also check Alan and others previous posts.

http://ronco-plastics.com/newRonco/product_details.php?prodID=82

Nov 25, 2010
Hunter 336 Forked River
Re: 35.5 Tank

Hi all, I too have a 336 with the aluminum holding tank. The plastic version was made by Dura Cast and they are available thru The Tank Depot. There is a link to download the drawing of the tank. They sell a standard wall and heavy duty wall version. The part number is Dura-Cast 30 Gallon Heavy Duty Rectangle Tank Part: DC-209031HD and as of April 2014 it sells for $199.95 . You have to install your own fittings but you can buy the kits for that.