33' Compression Post Removal?

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

D Olson

I have noticed corrosion and pitting on the aluminum compression post where the fiberglass interfaces with the compression post in the bilge. I would like to remove the post for further evaluation but I am not sure how the post is connected to the keel. The attaching point is embedded in fiberglass. Has anyone removed the compression post from a 1981 33'? If so please give me some insight. The mast is already down.

Jun 4, 2004
Hunter 33_77-83 SubBaseNLon Groton, CT
Check the archives

I recall several discussions about 3 months ago on this subject. The post on my '81 H-33 appears intact, but I looked over the postings. It appears the post in imbedded in the fiberglass and wood base there in the bilge. If I had to replace mine, I think I'd do this. 1- Step the mast (remove it) to reduce compression loads. 2- Support the cabin top with a temporary a-frame. 3- Measure the height from the top of the compression post to the bottom of the bilge carefully. 4- Chisel out the fiberglass and wood support, then recheck the measurements in 3 above. 5- Get a new post fabricated of aluminum (steel will rust quicker, stainless would be harder to work and costly) with a plate on top, and on bottom. The bottom plate would rest on the bottom of the bilge, and straddle a couple of the keel bolts. Some precautions will need to be taken to minimize electrolysis at this point. The keel bolts will keep the post in place, and without the fiberglass hump there any water in the forward portion of the bilge can drain. 6- I'd have a drain hole drilled in the base of the post just above the base plate, and a larger hole up a few inches, below the bilge boards to pull any wiring through. That's my plan. A couple others have addressed the problem and had different solutions so be sure to look through the archives. It shouldn't be a terribly hard or expensive project. Good luck.

T

Terry Arnold

pitted compression post

The Cherubini H33 has an unusually good and durable construction sequence from decktop to keel. The only wood in the vertical column of my 79 is 3/8" plywood immediately under the fiberglass on the deck top immediately under the mast step casting. The compression post itself is pretty thick which you can easily verify at the hole where the mast wires exit. There is a lot of extra strength in that column. I believe I would prospect a bit, chiseling down along the embedded column before deciding to take it out. I have not heard of any failures of a Cherubini H33 compression column.

Status
Not open for further replies.