321 Rudder Play - Parts

Jul 30, 2018
Beneteau 321 Tawas MI
Hello,

We have enough rudder play on our '98 321 to warrant dropping it. I believe what I will find is some combination of warn bronze bushing (4) or a deterioration of the fiberglass around the bushing. The issue I'm running against is lead time of several parts (don't want to spend more than I have to) vs. when I will know the scope of what I need vs. drop in dates for summer.

Anyone having done this before, what parts might I expect needing to be replaced? Schematic attached. Thanks!

(3) Delrin spacer
(4) Bronze bushing
(2) Rudder tube
(5) Nylon bearing
(6) SS washer

Attachments

RitSim

Jan 29, 2018
Beneteau 411 Branford
A lot depends on the details. Is the excessive play up/down, fore/aft or port/star.? I would expect more play at the bottom but certainly could also be at the upper bearing. To me, if the bearing has broken loose from the fiberglass and there is damage there, then I would fix the rudder tube/fiberglass. There are some videos on line about replacing the bronze bearings. On my Tides Marine original rudder, I have only plastic bearings. In my case my rudder was too tight.

Jul 30, 2018
Beneteau 321 Tawas MI
Thanks. The play is radially. Question - hard to tell from the drawing, is the bushing nested in the rudder tube or is the bushing below it?

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
the bushing nested in the rudder tube or is the bushing below it?
The bushing would be in the tube. A sleeve around the rudder shaft. Bearings would be at both top and bottom of the fiberglass tube in most designs.

Jul 30, 2018
Beneteau 321 Tawas MI
Most Oceanis Beneteau rudders are designed the same way. There many videos showing what needs to be done.
Attached are some docs from Beneteau. It may help.
Good Luck
These are immensely helpful, thanks! Couldn’t even get docs like this from the local dealer.

Oct 10, 2018
Beneteau 321 Bay Harbor Marina, Bay City MI
When I dropped my rudder, I couldn't get the steering quadrant apart and had to order a new one. It took 13 weeks to get the new one and then 3 more weeks to get it machined. (Salt water with stainless steel and aluminum don't mix well) I think my bushings were some kind of nylon or something. Needed to remove it to pull the prop shaft. Had it done in Bay City.