32 Vision vs 29.5 hunter

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

Ken Osborne

Thumbs up for 29.5

Not having known any Vision 32 owners, I can't comment on that boat. You don't say what year it is, but I bought my 29.5 new in 1995 and still love it. For a 30ft. boat it has been and done everything I expected of a boat that size. There is something to be said about bigger boats, and I may soon move up, but it won't be because I didn't like the 29.5. Good luck.

R

Rob Sherrill

Vision GOING AWAY

I would (and I did) choose the Vision 32. There is a lot more room than a 29.5. Better in rough seas (weighs more and wider beam) and you don't have to tweak the rigging. Now that's not "traditional" but it works for me. The Vision doesn't do well in light air but it's great at over 15K. I think that once you own a Vision it's hard to go back. I kinda like not being a "traditionalist". After all, did you see any stays on the racing CAT's.

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
opinion number 3!

Chris: I would probably go with the 29.5 only because it is more main stream. I personally think that you are going to get more boat with the V32. The problem is going to come if/when you go to sell it. I think you are going to have far fewer lookers at the Vision. What prices are you look at for both the boats?

J

J. Hrab

Opinion no. 4

This is the first and only time I disagree with mon ami Steve. I have a Vision 32 and have quite a few requests from possible future buyers. Once you will have sailed both in winds over 15kn you will be a beleiver. There is no need to reef under 30 kn: the upper part of the mast bends a little and spills excess wind ! The cabin space beats all hands down. Best of luck, Jean Hrab

Jul 1, 1998
Hunter Legend 35 Poulsbo/Semiahmoo WA
Impressive Vision Trip

This is from someone who is very traditionalist and not 'pro' Vision. However, there was a couple that made a trip that left me very impressed. They started in Vancouver, Canada, and bought a Vision 36, then learned how to sail. This was in 1991. That year they sailed down the coast to Baja, through the canal, then up to Nova Scotia where they eventually sold the boat. Some friends of ours, South Pacific vets from Bainbridge Island in Puget Sound, buddy-boated with them part of the way in their H-35.5 and they went as far as Florida east through the Gulf(!)(got water in the V-berth too). As a traditionalist I like stays, including a backstay. I like a reasonable I and J dimension. But, for a couple novices to make this trip successfully, I have to say, I'm impressed. From the accounts while they were traveling I think this was more than dumb luck. Neither boat should "break the bank" so I'd go with what you feel good about. The Visions appear to be well built boats. Personally, I'm still more of a traditionalist. Also, as a recommendation, in your survey be sure to have the sails checked out by a sailmaker for wear and draft. These goodies cost several thousand dollars to replace and you don't want to inherit blown-out sails worth a couple hundred. And a "recut" isn't the same thing as a new sail. Good luck with your decision!

C

Cliff Ruckstuhl

Sail Both if you Can

Not ever sailed on either but now owning my 3rd Hunter I wonder how well the Vision would point with having such a small headsail. If it does not point well I might go with the 29.5 that has a bigger head sail and because of that point better. If you can sail them both and buy witch ever feels the best and sails the best. But pointing is a majior consideration. Cliff

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
bonjour, mon ami!

Jean: I really do think that the V32 is a superior boat. My only concern is for the resale. I originally saw the V32 and fell in love until I viewed the V36 (sounds like puppy love). Cliff's point about pointing is a valid point. The big arguement is that the Visions really move down wind. What you loose upwind is more than made up from the down wind and reaching. Now we agree!

A

Andy Falls

Own 29.5 and owned 'lil Vision

I previously had a Freedom 21 which was rigged very similar to the Vision, and currently own 29.5. I say it depends on what you are going to do

J

Jack

Mast Replacement

My concern would the ability to replace the mast on the Vision in the event it should bite the dust. I would check with hunter or any of the rigging companies about the mast. If you can't find anybody that can supply one for less than replacement cost of the boat, I would shy away. Do us all a favor and tell us what you find out.

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
Hard to Miss, Steve, But

..as an owner for almost ten years of a V32, I am a real fan. I think it was the best boat I owned and free standing rigs will someday become the norm rather than the exception. Also, the boat was trimmed more deluxe than others in its class. Entertains a lot at the dock too. Resale in So Cal is good. Best of sailing regardless of your choice. Rick D.

R

Rob Sherrill

Mast Replacement Question for Vision-32

The question about mast replacement touched a "nerve" with me. I can't imagine being dis-masted (I think the boat would perish first) I guess it could happen. Anyway, an email to Hunter was encouraging. The suggest Charleston Spar in Charlotte as a source for replacement and could even provide a new carbon fiber mast. That number is 704-597-1502. Another possible source would be Seco South at 727-536-1924. I have no information on prices. Both shops are closed for the holidays.

J

Jim

price

I paid 40k for my pristine, unused 1994 29.5 18 months ago. You can find these in very nice condition for low to mid 30's now.

Status
Not open for further replies.