310 Mainsail Halyard Specs

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Ray

All, I want to replace my mainsail halyard. Does anyone know the specs and/or a good source? It has some fraying about where I expect it sits when the sail is down. Not sure if I want to stay with the original or go with an after market one.

paulj

Mar 16, 2007
Catalina 310 Anacortes,Wa
Mainsail halyard

3/8" low stretch Sta-Set X 115 feet long paulj

R

Ray

Thanks

Paul, You are a gentleman and a scholar. I was pretty surprised no one listed the actual length. I was thinking it was about 100'. Thanks

Dave Groshong

SBO Staff
Staff member
Jan 25, 2007
Catalina 22 Seattle
I think 100ft. should be plenty....

With an "E" measurement (mainsail hoist) of 37.25, I think 100ft should be fine, led aft to the cockpit. Our "estimator" puts it at 107'. We have Samson XLS here which is a great all purpose, low stretch line for running rigging. http://shop.catalinaowners.com/cordage/cordage.htm?fno=20

paulj

Mar 16, 2007
Catalina 310 Anacortes,Wa
Ray

I just remembered a couple of months ago, I checked the all the hayards for wear and just cut off about 2' on the main and spin retied knots... paulj

R

Ray

Wear in the middle and the correct length is ...

Paul, Good idea, but my problem was a little bit of fraying about mid-way up the halyard. As I was going to need a halyard for my spinnaker pole haul up that was about 40' long I am going to re-use a good part of the original halyard. After replacing the halyard a pretty good length would be about 100' for the halyard although 105' is probably optimum. Ray

R

Ray

3/8" is now a spinnaker pole topping lift

Tom, The halyard was 3/8", but I have recycled it to be a halyard for my spinnaker pole topping lift.

T

Tom

1/2 line

I understand that it is currently 3/8", but you did not answer my question.
Are the sheaves and blocks large enough to handle 1/2"?

R

Ray

Blocks and 1/2" line

I believe the Garhauer blocks should accommodate 1/2. You can verify by calling them at or view them at info@garhauermarine.com or view the blocks at http://garhauermarine.com/search_process.cfm?keywords=S. They are very helpful. I used a 25-13 as I felt that 1150 pounds was more than enough strength.

Jan 22, 2008
Catalina 310 #147 Oakville Yacht Squadron
I just replaced mine with 3/8" stayset X
The original halyard was 102. I seem to recall triminng a bunch off the first spring that I rigged the boat myself.
I again trimmed 2' off and the 100' allows me to secure it to the portside grab rail when not in use and still have 6-8' tail in the cockpit
Essentially all the halyards are the same; just different shackles.
I put a block on the masthead bail to use as an asymetric spinnakter halyarsd and secure it to the bow pulpit when not in use. Even in that application I have enough tail for securing in the cockpit. You have to keep it snug so that it doesn't get into the genoa when furling.

Status
Not open for further replies.