310 main furler questions

Mar 15, 2011
Catalina 310 Gloucester Point, Va
2005 310 and have in mast mainsail furling. (Charleston Spars, I think made the mast and boom).
The furling line that attaches to the clew of the sail and allows (via cockpit winch) to let out sail and furl back
In is getting ragged. Question is does anyone know the length of the furling line, the diameter or type line and
Is it hard to replace by myself?

Any advice appreciated

Bob

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
2005 310 and have in mast mainsail furling. (Charleston Spars, I think made the mast and boom).
The furling line that attaches to the clew of the sail and allows (via cockpit winch) to let out sail and furl back
In is getting ragged. Question is does anyone know the length of the furling line, the diameter or type line and

Any advice appreciated

Bob
I have the traditional sail version so I can't look in my manual, but my manual lists all of the diameters and lengths of line. I would start there.

If you can't find it, email Charleston Spars (yes they did make that mast). They got back to me quick with a question.

Good luck,

Jesse

Jul 1, 2009
Catalina 310 Sydney-Pittwater

Any advice appreciated

Bob
Attached specs which give you all details you require. However, I replaced my furling line with an 8mm line on recommendations of a rigger. The 10mm line almost jams in the furler and causes immense friction. It is easy to replace (once you have the grub screw out that locks the line in the furler-I had to drill mine out). If you use an 8mm line you can either roll it back on the drum (if you haven’t got the sail attached yet) or slide it in with an electric type cable as needle. Should you replace with a 10 mm, the latter option may be too difficult and you have to take the sail off to rotate the furling foil for take up of the line on the drum.

Jul 1, 2009
Catalina 310 Sydney-Pittwater
for some reason attachment did not work. Happy to send it to yourPM or otherwise download from Charleston Spars.

Mar 15, 2011
Sent note to Starcraft.com..assume they own Charleston Spars..any info to bobgelb@gmail.com, specifically length of both pieces (in line and out line)...how do you thread the out line thru the boom with a new line? ie: assume you attach old line to new line via thread ? Thanks for any and all tips
Bob

Mar 22, 2009
Catalina 310 Gulfport Small Craft Harbor, MS
I replaced my "out haul" line which was chafing by melting the new line to the old line using a lighter. Worked like a charm. Did the same for Boom Vang line and Boom Lift line.

Cheers,
Jim

KZW

May 17, 2014
Catalina 310 #307 Bluewater Bay, FL
On my 2005 C-310 with in-mast furling (Charleston Spar) I replaced the MAIN-IN line with 3/8 Spectra, 62 ft long. At 62 ft, there is plenty extra. I used 62 ft because that is what the old one was. Both the MAIN-IN Line and MAIN-OUT line were original and seriously worn.
- Unfurl the main and release the halyard to lower the main.
- You will have two to three wraps of MAIN-IN line on the spindle
- Remove the grub screw on the bottom of the spindle and pull out the old line (you can turn the furler by hand to expose the grub screw)
- Put the new line in the hole, replace the grub screw, and turn by hand clockwise (looking down on the mast) to thread the line onto the spindle all the way to the top.
- Feed the other end through the fair leads into your clutch following the path of the old line.
- Pull the main up the mast with the halyard (have a friend help feed the luff into the track), and furl the main.

- You can actually feed the line around the spindle and thus avoid unfurling and lowering the main. It is tricky to feed through in the grooves inside the guide bars, especially the one in the center of the mast that is barely visible. I've used curved hemostats to do it. It took lots of finagling and cussing to do it. Allow 6.5 inches per wrap and feed it around the spindle two or three turns and into the hole and fasten with the grub screw. Yes, I did this with 7/16 line - it was a real bear, and then the line covering separated from the interior and refused to go into the hole at the bottom. It is easier to to with 3/8 line and 7/16 is overkill for the MAIN-IN line anyway.

I replaced the MAIN-OUT line with 7/16 spectra. The 7/16 grabs in the clutch better than 3/8 and you don't need to keep it on the winch. The worn 7/16 MAIN-OUT line would slip through the winch if the wind was higher than 14 knots. If memory serves, it was 48 ft, but might have been 46 ft. Measure the length of what is on your boat. I sewed the end of the new line to the old using 1.5 mm whipping line, butting the ends together, then wrapped with tape. The tape is just to hold things in line. Then pull on the old line and the whole thing goes through the boom quite nicely. It may hang at the turn-around on the end tip of the boom, just help it through and it works great.

BTW, Charleston Spar was purchased a couple of years ago and no longer makes masts, etc.

Mar 15, 2011
Thanks all for your advice...I did get a pdf from Charleston Spars but the haul out line wasn't included ..they did some checking and responded to me that it takes 3/8 line at 16 meters (52')
Bob