310 fridge

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

robert hadley

Has Catalina put out any service bulletins on how to get at the fridge compressor? I have a leak at the compressor. The service rep says the only way to get at the two bolts on the compressor is to go in from the aft cabin and move the water heater to get at it. He has fixed another catalina this way. I am hoping there is a better solution to this problem. I also, understand the connections should be checked yearly.

I would appreciate hearing from anyone who has experienced this problem or knows anything about it.

Regards
Bob Hadley

May 24, 2004
Catalina 310 Virginia Beach, VA
You can reach it from the Cockpit through the starboard side rear corner seat, or at least on mine I can Hull #282

Oct 25, 2008
Catalina 310 Lake Ontario
Just another thought, the copper connectors for the refrigerant are not quick disconnects, once you break the seal all the refrigerant goes, I would suggest that you have your fridge guy put on the quick disconnects for future problem solving you will not have the additional expense of recharging the unit.
good luck
Wayne

Jun 4, 2004
Catalina 310 Tolchester
Catalina 310 Refer gas leak

Has Catalina put out any service bulletins on how to get at the fridge compressor? I have a leak at the compressor. The service rep says the only way to get at the two bolts on the compressor is to go in from the aft cabin and move the water heater to get at it. He has fixed another catalina this way. I am hoping there is a better solution to this problem. I also, understand the connections should be checked yearly.

I would appreciate hearing from anyone who has experienced this problem or knows anything about it.

Regards
Bob Hadley

We had lots of problems with gas leaks on our 310 refrigerator. For better access to the compressor first remove the wooden shelf inside the aft starboard lazerette opening. Next remove the 4 screws holding the wooden access panel to the aft starboard wall on the starboard side of the aft birth. Next remove the screws holding the water heater to the fiberglass base. This will allow you to turn and work the water heater forward into openning in the aft birth without disconnecting all of the plumbing to the heater. You will now have space to to stand or squat as you check the compressor on the aft starboard shelf. It helps to be a small person who can gain access into this location via the aft starboard lazerette opening from the cockpit. Once you have cleared the area for service bring in a professional to check for gas leaks at the compressor. He should remove and replace the disicant dryer if you have had a gas loss for some time. After all leaks have been found and repaired place on a vacuum pump and purge the system with dry nitrogen gas before refilling with refrigerant to eliminate all moisture in the system. The leak in our system was very difficult to find and not at the compressor. If you can not find the leak remove the salon larger table if stowed on the starboard aft shelf. Then back out the two screws of the table base bracket mounted on the fiberglass shelf. If the screws are 2 or 2 1/2" long as were ours chances are they have entered the PVC pipe protection tube that runs under the shelf from the compressor to the ice box. The gas lines are inside this PVC pipe and were punctured causing our gas leak. We had to replace the evaportator, regharge all gas, purge the system and have no problems since. It took a few service trips to find this odd problem. Hope you have just loose fittings. But do have the job done by a professional. You can save money by getting everything ready for his service and access. We insatlled a Digital Temperature controller to display and control the refer temperature. Lets me know whats going on at a glance. If you wnat to purchase a digital control and wiring diagram I have all that is needed.

Dec 25, 2008
catalina 310 Elk River
Haven't had a problem with the fridg yet, but I'm backing out those screws asap!

atom

Aug 15, 2007
-Catalina -310 saint simons island
Re: 310 fridge

Capt Ziggy,

I am definitely interested in learning more about your digital controller for the refrigerator.

Jan 22, 2008
Catalina 310 #147 Oakville Yacht Squadron
This is kind of late advice... but here goes

I lived with leaks for for 2 summers once the boat was about 4 yrs old. I tried on several occasions to get our local service guy out, but he was fairly unco-operative.
Finally he mentioned that the most likely cause of leaks, short of the issue with screws perforating the tubing, is the connection at the compressor.
This is where the tubing is connected after installation and the seal is perforated to allow circulation.
It is a pain to get at. It was a bit easier for me to access because I replaced the original water heater with one much smaller and i can actually get into the space if i require.
What I found was that the compression connector at the compressor was not tight. It wasnt very loose, but it was not tight. either. It was a B**CH to get a wrench on the compression nut and its mating connector. But I managed it; got it tight, recharged it and I am starting the 3rd summer on the same charge.

C

CaptZiggy

Digital Frig Controller

Capt Ziggy,

I am definitely interested in learning more about your digital controller for the refrigerator.
Hi. If you Email me at Captziggy@comcast.net. I'll send you deatils on where and how to install a digital controller on your Adler/Barbour ColdMachine(TM) that is on your Catalina 310. I will include a wiring diagram and parts list with prices for doing this very easy do it yourself job.

PS: This digital controller will work with any Waeco Adler/Barbour refrigerator on any boat.

Regards,

Capt Ziggy

C

CaptZiggy

Digital Controller

Me Too!!!:dance:
Hi. If you Email me at Captziggy@comcast.net. I'll send you deatils on where and how to install a digital controller on your Adler/Barbour ColdMachine(TM) that is on your Catalina 310. I will include a wiring diagram and parts list with prices for doing this very easy do it yourself job.

PS: This digital controller will work with any Waeco Adler/Barbour refrigerator on any boat.

Regards,

Capt Ziggy

Status
Not open for further replies.