310 25XP Harness to Seaward Helm Pod Drawing

May 22, 2017
Catalina 310 Lake Carlyle
Does anyone have an accurate "310 25XP Harness to Seaward Helm Pod" drawing? My 310 Manual harness drawing does not show any connection of the fuel lift pump to the ignition switch, or a third connection from the ignition switch (S) to the glow plugs. It's a poor drawing. Maybe someone on the forum has traced out their wiring and updated the drawing.

Frank H
Hull #17
USA, Illinois, Lake Carlyle

Nov 16, 2012
Catalina 310, 2000, #31 31 Santa Cruz
Does anyone have an accurate "310 25XP Harness to Seaward Helm Pod" drawing? My 310 Manual harness drawing does not show any connection of the fuel lift pump to the ignition switch, or a third connection from the ignition switch (S) to the glow plugs. It's a poor drawing. Maybe someone on the forum has traced out their wiring and updated the drawing.

Frank H
Hull #17
USA, Illinois, Lake Carlyle
You are right that the drawing for the Pod is incorrect: it shows the glow plug (Pre Heat) coming directly off "I" on the ignition switch; it should be coming off of the "S" terminal.

The lift pump is connected to the "P" terminal on the alarm buzzer, which is also the side of the oil pressure switch that is not connected to 12V (coming from the Pod). On the schematic it says Oil Pressure Switch. That is all part of the (complex) circuitry that runs the lift pump when the glow plugs are energized and when the oil pressure switch is closed, and sounds the alarm the rest of the time.

Here's an updated Pod schematic and engine wiring diagram.

Attachments

May 22, 2017
Rob
Thank you for the schematic. It all makes sense now. I can now safely add my remote lift pump switch. I have yet to locate the lift pump but it is still winter here. I'll be able to go out to the boat in a couple of weeks. By the way, my first mate and I are absolutely in love with our 310. It is so comfortable, roomy and so much fun to sail, especially with the in-mast furling main. I have had no problems with the main and am surprised how fast the boat sails. I'm still a little sloppy in backing it into the slip but still learning. We can't wait till spring.
Thanks again.
Frank Hines
Catalina 310 Hull #17
Lake Carlyle, Ill.

Nov 16, 2012
Rob
Thank you for the schematic. It all makes sense now. I can now safely add my remote lift pump switch. I have yet to locate the lift pump but it is still winter here. I'll be able to go out to the boat in a couple of weeks. By the way, my first mate and I are absolutely in love with our 310. It is so comfortable, roomy and so much fun to sail, especially with the in-mast furling main. I have had no problems with the main and am surprised how fast the boat sails. I'm still a little sloppy in backing it into the slip but still learning. We can't wait till spring.
Thanks again.
Frank Hines
Catalina 310 Hull #17
Lake Carlyle, Ill.
Glad to hear you're enjoying the boat. We're lucky here in Santa Cruz, sailing year round. The lift pump should be easy to find, it should be just after the Racor fuel filter, ideally. But as Jessie said in a different thread, you can also just turn the key switch all the way and it will run the lift pump for you. Feel free to ask any questions; this is a great group here.

May 22, 2017
Rob
My next project after the remote lift pump switch is coming up with a way to change the Ricor filter without having to remove the filter output hose. I may have to change output ports on the filter. What a crazy place/way to add the filter. No way to drain it either. See the picture. Might be more than a 6 pack job.
Frank Hines

Attachments

Nov 16, 2012
Rob
My next project after the remote lift pump switch is coming up with a way to change the Ricor filter without having to remove the filter output hose. I may have to change output ports on the filter. What a crazy place/way to add the filter. No way to drain it either. See the picture. Might be more than a 6 pack job.
Frank Hines
Ours is also mounted in the engine "room", but more to starboard. I know a lot of C310s have it mounted elsewhere, maybe under the aft berth? I think having a plastic fuel bowl in the engine compartment is frowned on, so you might want to think about relocation. I don't know if I'm lucky or stupid, but I haven't changed my Racor filter since we got the boat. We don't motor a lot, and we've apparently had clean diesel so far.

Other folks have also plumbed things so they can easily polish the fuel in the tank, often with a second filter and pump and several three way valves.

Clydo

May 28, 2013
Catalina C310 SF Bay/Delta
Ours is also mounted in the engine "room", but more to starboard. I know a lot of C310s have it mounted elsewhere, maybe under the aft berth? I think having a plastic fuel bowl in the engine compartment is frowned on, so you might want to think about relocation. I don't know if I'm lucky or stupid, but I haven't changed my Racor filter since we got the boat. We don't motor a lot, and we've apparently had clean diesel so far.

Other folks have also plumbed things so they can easily polish the fuel in the tank, often with a second filter and pump and several three way valves.
We mounted Racor fuel/water sep under aft bunk with shut off valve. I talked with Racor and they recommend
changing filter every one hundred hours. I also check for water every now and then.

Clyde Thorington
C310 # 245
ILEAN TOO
San Jose, CA

Apr 17, 2013
Catalina 310 57 Pompano Beach, FL
I have Hull# 57 From your picture it looks like your primary filter is mounted in the same place mine is. There is room underneath it to put a cup and drain the filter, I use a small red solo cup. Why would you need to remove the output hose to change the filter? You are only changing the canister. Since the tank is gravity fed I close the supply line from the fuel tank before removing the filter.

May 22, 2017
Since it is still winter up here, I'm not at the boat and am just planning what I have to do at boat opening. I wasn't sure if there was room enough to get the old canister off and a new canister on the filter base. The PO's records don't show it ever being changed. Engine has 226 hours on it and I moved the boat across country. I'll check and see if I have enough room to get it off the base when it warms up.

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
How old is your C310? Was it sitting idle for very long before you bought it? It would be a good idea to get your fuel polished before you launch her. If the boat hadn't been used much in the past, there is a good chance that stuff has grown or settled in the fuel tank. In addition, shipping her across country could stir up stuff in the tank, and clog your new filters. For piece of mind, I'd recommend having a mobile fuel polisher visit your boat before you launch.

Nov 16, 2012
Rob
Frank Hines
The lift pump is the rectangular box just to the left and forward of the Racor in your picture, with a fuel hose coming out of the top.

KZW

May 17, 2014
Catalina 310 #307 Bluewater Bay, FL
Rob
Frank Hines

Wow, the Racor on my boat is under the aft bunk!

Nov 16, 2012
Wow, the Racor on my boat is under the aft bunk!
I wonder if the Racor was factory or dealer installed? If factory, maybe they changed location with later boats, possibly when production moved from California to Florida.

KZW

May 17, 2014
Under the bunk the Racor is at the lowest point in the fuel line. I view that as a plus.

Nov 16, 2012
Under the bunk the Racor is at the lowest point in the fuel line. I view that as a plus.
I agree. It would be pretty easy to move ours. Have you got pictures of where/how it’s mounted?

KZW

May 17, 2014
I agree. It would be pretty easy to move ours. Have you got pictures of where/how it’s mounted?
No, I don't. I'd amble down to the dock and take one, but it is raining. I'll give it a go tomorrow evening.

Nov 16, 2012
No, I don't. I'd amble down to the dock and take one, but it is raining. I'll give it a go tomorrow evening.
Thanks. Moving it would also make it easier to mount the vacuum gauge (with drag needle) that I bought and is sitting in the “To Do “ pile.

KZW

May 17, 2014
In lieu of a picture, refer to the attached drawing which shows the location of the razor. Under the lift up boards of the aft bunk, there are fore / aft and port/starboard fiberglass stringers. The Racor is mounted on the aft side of a horizontal stringer, about six inches outboard of the starboard fore / aft stringer.

Attachments

Aug 22, 2017
Hunter 26.5 West Palm Beach
Because the filter bowl is plastic it not to be in engine compartment.....
It was my understanding that the clear view filters were only allowed to be mounted above deck. Is the below deck prohibition only for the engine compartment? That would be welcomed news for me if it were the case.

Also, on a separate note, It has always been my distinct preference to have the glow plugs wired to a separate dead man switch. For me, that has always been the most problem free option, assuming that the guy starting the motor has some concept of when glow plugs do & don't need to get power.