3.5hp Nissan Outboard results

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 8, 2005
Macgregor 21 Turner, Oregon
The results of the Nissan 3.5hp outboard on a Mac21: We took the first voyage in our Mac21 yesterday. It was also the first voyage of our new Nissan outboard. We went to a local reservoir to meet up with a group of boat fanatics (a "messabout" in boat fanatic nomenclature), but since we drew too much water with the keel, we had to launch about 4 miles away and motor up. Speed with two adults and gear aboard (about 500 lb): 4.4 kt @ 3/4 throttle, keel up 4.0 kt @ 1/2 throttle, keel up 4.1 kt @ 3/4 throttle, keel down, 5 kt headwind 4.3 kt @ 3/4 throttle, keel down, no wind 4.4 kt @ 3/4 throttle, keel down, 3 kt tailwind Speed was unaffected by adding a third person. This was all towing a Puddle Duck Racer as a dinghy http://www.pdracer.com The engine is one of the ones that you have to spin 180 degrees to get reverse, which I thought would be a pain. However, it works well as a stern thruster for docking when it's turned 90 degrees, and it has neutral, so I can take it out of gear if I want. All in all, a successful outing. There was only about 30 minutes of wind, but that's ok; we had fun anyway. Happy Sailing Greg

K

Keith Nuttle

Launching a V-21

I have a 1970 Venture, one of the first with the keel partially inside of the boat. I have launched in some very thin water. If you have to launch at this type of ramp, and you are sure there are no dropoffs or significant depth of muck, you can disconnect the trailer from the car and push it out until it will float off. To retrive from this type of ramp, push the trailer out until you can get the boat on the trailer. Attach a cable to the boat trailer and to the tow vehicle, and tow the boat out until it is on firm ground. Reattach the trailer and go home. I have a four inch metal caster attached to the trailer just behind the coupling so that it is easy to push in these situations and in the garage.

Status
Not open for further replies.