2nd reef rigging

Jan 18, 2014
Catalina 30 MKIII Fort Pierce
During my refit I am putting in a 2nd reef. My question is how should I run the reefing line to the cockpit?

I can either put a new double clutch in place of the single on the Starboard cabin top and leave the jam cleat for the main sheet or remove jam cleat and put a triple clutch on cabin top. What is best way to handle this extra line?

mortyd

Dec 11, 2004
Catalina 30 easy living
?? my reefing set up, which is true to the owner manual, has nothing on the cabin top. there are two blocks on the boom which are used to service the first and second reef points in the main. do you already have two grommets in the main? if it came from the factory it should. i can't picture what line a clutch on the cabin top would use. if you still have two blocks on the boom, like the factory made the boat, they are adjustable along the boom.

Oct 5, 2010
Catalina 30 mkII St. Augustine
image-2398906033.jpg

My reefing lines are led back on the port slide via turning blocks at the base of the mast to a deck organizer and then to a quad clutch on the port cabin top. The other two lines are jib halyards, the working one and a spare.

mortyd

Dec 11, 2004
Catalina 30 easy living
i guess something changed from my mkii, but what's on your boom instead of reefing blocks? is your aft reefing line so long that it goes forward, turns around the mast, and back to the port side cabin top? none of this obviates two grommet holes in the main for a first and second reefing setting.

Jan 18, 2014
My main did not come with the cringle grommets for the 2nd reef point, I am having them put in, I also purchased 75' of 3/8" line for the reef line which will go through the boom sheaves opposite of the first reef, I was then going to switch out the block on a spring at the starboard side of the mast from a single to a double then lead the reefing line through the double set of blocks and back to the cabin top near the cockpit on starboard side. Thus my question on what to do at that point

Jimm

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 33.5 Bodkin Creek - Bodkin YC
My main did not come with the cringle grommets for the 2nd reef point, I am having them put in, I also purchased 75' of 3/8" line for the reef line which will go through the boom sheaves opposite of the first reef, I was then going to switch out the block on a spring at the starboard side of the mast from a single to a double then lead the reefing line through the double set of blocks and back to the cabin top near the cockpit on starboard side. Thus my question on what to do at that point
I also added second reef points on my main sail, and am set up for single handing. My reefing line runs from the aft end of the boom up and back down to the boom, internally fwd to the mast end, then down to a turning block and back to the cabin top to a clutch. Lots of turns and accumulated friction. It only works for the first reef. I am adding snatch blocks to the leach points so I can quickly switch reef points using the single line. Still sorting out how this works in practice from the cockpit....

mortyd

Dec 11, 2004
Catalina 30 easy living
am i missing something? how does running one reefing line aft to the cockpit eliminate the need to go forward on deck and deal with the forward reefing line?

Jun 8, 2004
Catalina 320 Dana Point
am i missing something?

Yes, The original single line reefing on later model Catalinas incorporate a pair of pulley's inside the boom.
Tightening the single line tightens both reefing lines at once, the additional friction in the system can sometimes require a trip to the mast.

Jan 18, 2014
Catalina 30 manual page for 2nd reef set-up

My manual page for the first reef set up is similar to the one posted minus the reef hooks. The manual did not come with a page showing how to run a second reef line, only the length of line needed is mentioned on the page with standing and running rigging dimensions and a notation on the reef page saying to run the second reef line opposite of first reef line through boom. If someone has a better diagram or page from their manual I would love to see it.
Thanks,
Laura

Oct 5, 2010
Catalina 30 mkII St. Augustine
i guess something changed from my mkii, but what's on your boom instead of reefing blocks? is your aft reefing line so long that it goes forward, turns around the mast, and back to the port side cabin top? none of this obviates two grommet holes in the main for a first and second reefing setting.
Reefing line is so long as it goes forward.

Jimm

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 33.5 Bodkin Creek - Bodkin YC
am i missing something? how does running one reefing line aft to the cockpit eliminate the need to go forward on deck and deal with the forward reefing line?
My single line runs fwd thru the boom to a sheave then up and through the fwd cringle and back down to a turning block at the deck and to the cockpit clutch. As noted, accumulated friction sometimes means a trip to the mast to help the line along...... I run the line thru the second (deeper) fwd reef point. Also secure ties around the boom, when conditions warrant, at the mid points on the sail to secure the foot and improve shape.

Jun 2, 2014
Catalina 30 mkII - 1987 Alamitos Bay Marina, LB, CA
Sorry if I'm hijacking this thread, but what I have has been mentioned, and I'm curious on how to fix it to have BOTH front and rear single line reefing.

I photoshop'd an image to show what I currently have. I only have the rear point going all the way to the cockpit, and the front is just dangling with a tie down. Whats the correct way to do single line front/rear reefing?

Attachments

mortyd

Dec 11, 2004
Catalina 30 easy living
jonelli, you have what i have, but it seems boats even later than ours have single line reefing going through the boom like our friction(down) haul does. there is no way to rig our system to single line reefing, but my stakpack eliminates the need for the forward reefing line in all but the heaviest wind. now, if you can figure a way for me to neatly stow the aft line on the boom........

Jun 2, 2014
Catalina 30 mkII - 1987 Alamitos Bay Marina, LB, CA
I was imagining something like this. I might have to move the forward block to the other side or just move the reefing line to the other side, or do them separately. I was curious what other people do.

Attachments

Apr 5, 2009
Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs Oak Harbor, WA
And for Svlorelei30, I found this which looks messy, but do-able.
I installed the single line reefing blocks that are available at Catalina Direct in my boom last year. The system works great although the friction is a bit higher than I would like. You could do the same thing with the exterior blocks that you already have. You would only need to add a bulls eye or cheek block to the mast to pull the final leg of the tack line forward.

http://www.catalinadirect.com/index.cfm/product/2188/sheave-box-internal-single-line-reef.cfm

I am planning to re-run the lines so that they do not go through the cringle. Instead they will go up to a bearing bullet block that is mounted with the shackle through the cringle and hooked to a stainless ring. Most of the friction is at the cringle so this should make it work easier.

Jul 6, 2013
Catalina 30TR, Atomic 4 2480 Milwaukee
Sorry if I'm hijacking this thread, but what I have has been mentioned, and I'm curious on how to fix it to have BOTH front and rear single line reefing. I photoshop'd an image to show what I currently have. I only have the rear point going all the way to the cockpit, and the front is just dangling with a tie down. Whats the correct way to do single line front/rear reefing?
You could make this single line by running the "red" line up from the forward block on the boom to the cringle, and then down the mast to the existing cleat (eliminate the "green" line). Or you could bypass the cleat and run the line to the cockpit through a deck organizer.
On the aft end of the boom, eliminate the bowline and put a cleat on the opposite side of the boom. You could manage this end of the line from the cockpit.

If you want a 2nd reef, you could duplicate the whole thing on the opposite side of the boom.

Nov 28, 2009
Catalina 30 St. Croix
Sorry if I'm hijacking this thread, but what I have has been mentioned, and I'm curious on how to fix it to have BOTH front and rear single line reefing.

I photoshop'd an image to show what I currently have. I only have the rear point going all the way to the cockpit, and the front is just dangling with a tie down. Whats the correct way to do single line front/rear reefing?
I had a 1987 Hunter Legend 35 that was single line from the cockpit. You can still get the manual on line.