2nd anchor/Double bow roller?

Sep 11, 2019
Hunter 49 2 San Diego,Ca
Ahoy Sailing friends,
My Hunter 49 has a double anchor bow roller but only one anchor attached.
The anchor is a Rocna 33 so seems adequate for this boat.
The questions are why would I want 2 anchors on the bow and secondly what would fit for a second anchor on this boat?
Great to hear back from all my Yoda’s but also on the second question people who have Hunter 49/50’s.
Thanks in advance. Scotty Sailor

ps, I also have a Fortress px-37 on the boat stored at the stern, looks like it was the stern anchor and wouldn’t fit up front!

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
I have 2 anchors installed...

1) Bruce for mud... only rode
2) Danforth for Sand. Anchor chain plus rode.

I rarely use the Bruce.
Jim...

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
.............The anchor is a Rocna 33 so seems adequate for this boat.
The questions are why would I want 2 anchors on the bow and secondly what would fit for a second anchor on this boat?
Reason for two anchors per Anchor Like a Pro – When to Use Two Anchors – The Boating Guy (towers4boats.com)
1. Two anchors reduces the swing circle of a vessel, keeping it nearly stationary.
2. Decrease the chances that your single anchor will drag. Dragging anchor is no fun, and if the wind is coming from offshore or the anchorage is tight, it can be dangerous.

How would you fit it:
I would have to see what anchor best fits on the second roller. I also have 2 bow rollers on my Hunter 46 with one 60 lb Manson Supreme on one them.

Sep 11, 2019
Hunter 49 2 San Diego,Ca
Reason for two anchors per Anchor Like a Pro – When to Use Two Anchors – The Boating Guy (towers4boats.com)
1. Two anchors reduces the swing circle of a vessel, keeping it nearly stationary.
2. Decrease the chances that your single anchor will drag. Dragging anchor is no fun, and if the wind is coming from offshore or the anchorage is tight, it can be dangerous.

How would you fit it:
I would have to see what anchor best fits on the second roller. I also have 2 bow rollers on my Hunter 46 with one 60 lb Manson Supreme on one them.
Thanks Sail Sf bay, you’re bow roller is identical to mine I think let me know if add another anchor so I know what fits.
Also I have an 84 Hunter 31 in Sausalito I’m selling if you know anyone interested?
Scotty

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Wow .............my first sailboat was a 1987 Hunter 31. I will not likely install a second anchor on my Hunter 46. However, I had a second low profile anchor on my Hunter 386. It was a delta. I also have a second fluke anchor, albeit not installed.

Jul 19, 2013
Pearson 31-2 Boston
Ahoy Sailing friends,
My Hunter 49 has a double anchor bow roller but only one anchor attached.
The anchor is a Rocna 33 so seems adequate for this boat.
Great to hear back from all my Yoda’s but also on the second question people who have Hunter 49/50’s.
Thanks in advance. Scotty Sailor

ps, I also have a Fortress px-37 on the boat stored at the stern, looks like it was the stern anchor and wouldn’t fit up front!
I would hesitate to install a second anchor on the bow, if that is your question. the reason being, that doing so would obligate you to always deploy both anchors when anchoring. Otherwise, you would have an anchor line out with a set of flukes nearby ideal to chafe and cut that anchor line should some rough weather blow thru. Keeping the second anchor in a locker to be connected when needed of course is fine.