299 Sole relacement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 9, 2005
Beneteau 373 Baltimore
I have rotted areas in my 299 floor. Upon inspection it looks like the floor is made up of a sheet of marine plywood topped with a 2nd sheet of plywood finished in an oak veneer. Does this sound right and can the top sheet only be replaced without the removal of built ins and furniture? Any time and money saving advice will be a great help.

R

Rick

Marine grade plywood

GENERALLY the flooring is a marine grade plywood with a teak & holly sole veneer. Look for a lumber distributor speciallizing in plywood/sheet goods product. The existing flloring may be screwed in to boat cross members. You should be able to remove the existing floor without removing the cabinets. If you are careful, you will be able to use the existing floor for a pattern for the new floor boards. Be careful to line up the teak and holly venner patterns so it is consistant throughout. I remove my floor boards each fall and in the off season, put on additional coats of varnish.

May 29, 2006
- - Sandusky,Ohio
Floor Boards

I have a 1979 299 too. I had the floor boards and stringers replaced about 8 years ago. Check the stringers around the mast king post and make sure that is not soft. They removed all the cabinet faces and fronts of the settes and shower pan to replace all the stringers. You might only need the floor boards replaced and not have to deal with this problem. Good luck and fair winds Fred

Status
Not open for further replies.