29.5 stove top burner

May 10, 2017
Beneteau Oceanis 31 Beaver Lake, Roger, AR.
I have a 1996 Hunter 29.5, it has the alcohol 2 burner stove top burner set up. I’d like to replace it with a two burner stove top that I can connect the small camping bottles of propane or propane mix to it when you use it. Looking for advice as to brands and installation.

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
You can purchase a 2 burner propane or butane stove for ~$45. Just google 2 burner propane or butane stove. I use a butane stove when cooking outside our trailer.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Propane is propane whether it comes in a 1 lb. Canister or a 10 lbs. tank. Propane is heavier than air and will flow into enclosed spaces and pool like water, it is also highly explosive in concentrations. Misuse has blown up many boats even recently. Operating a propane stove inside a boat's cabin requires either safety components or a thorough understanding of the dangers and utmost care of procedures. On the other hand alcohol is lighter than air and will rise and dissipate in the air. There are two types of alcohol stoves, pressurized and non-pressurized, the pressurized are mostly troublesome to start and prone to flareups. usually the two burners Origos which are non pressurized provides the best and safest performance. If you do require propane and want to forego the installation of a vented tank enclosure, remote switches and sniffers then at least get a stove with thermocouple switches which in case of a flameout the supply of fuel will be stopped. Back in the sixties we would use propane installations which were crude by today's standards but we knew very well the dangers and were always careful to stand watch over the stove while in operation and make sure the tank valve was closed immediately after finishing cooking. The tank was kept on deck near the mast so that any spill would wash off the deck into the water. Today boat manufacturing standards require many costly controls and safety fixtures which will do automatically what we used to do manually. The biggest disadvantages is that it does not educate the public and creates what could be a false sense of security. I still shut off the tank after done cooking but I have friends that leave the valves to the tanks open and rely on the safety features. My recommendation is that if you have a non pressurized Alcohol stove is to learn how to use it and appreciate it. Oh, Butane is also heavier than air and although the stoves have a convenient tank disconnect they are also prone to flareups.

Last edited: