29.5 frameless window replacement

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 29.5 Panama City, FL FL
Considering doing all 3 myself. Have seen posts referring to archived posts detailing this subject. I am finding very few posts relating to this.
Is there an archive here that I am overlooking?
Also, seeing reference to Marlow-Hunter archives that I cannot find either.
Anyone that has any experience with this please chime in.
NOTE: fiberglass opening around windshield has cracks that I will need to address once window is removed.
Thanks

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 29.5 Gloucester, VA
I had mine done at the yard. Im glad I did. Pain in the butt. If it got messed up and cut wrong it was their issue and not mine.

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
Jim, look under Boat Info and try search the owner modifications. It may be there.

Twille

Oct 8, 2012
Hunter 38 Henderson, nc
I replaced the windshield, both hatch pains and the sky light on my 29.5 this spring. I had the Acylic cut at a shop for me and installed them my self. I did cut one of the hatch pieces but it's only .250 thick and fairly easy to work with.
I did not do the side windows as they are in good shape no crazing and no leaks.
What I figured out is put the adhesive Dow 795 (purchased here on this site,) on, push the pane into it weigh it put the screws in and only clean up the really messy drips. Once the sealant cures trim it neat wit a razor blade.
I taped around all my work.

Sep 3, 2012
Hunter 285 Grand Rivers Ky
There is a company called "Cruising concepts" (google them) will custom cut the tinted window, will properly chamfer the plexi edges with their CNC milling machine and provide the adhesive and provide detailed instructions. You can discard the screws with their process as they are no longer needed and it is the screws that cause most leaks anyway. Am told it has to do with the different modulus of expansion from temperature changes between metal, fiberglass and plexiglass.

Further, even though you do the work, they guarantee no leaks or they send new windows and new adhesive for you to do it again. You supply the blue masking tape, alcohol, plastic disposable putty knifes, disposable gloves, acetone, and labor. I also used a blue tarn to cover the window for a few days to keep sun and rain off during initial cure and one on the inside as a drop cloth to catch and drips during cleaning and application.

Just remember apply the 795 and get the window set in place in a max of 10 to 15 minutes or the strength of the 795 can be compromised. in three hours you can trim the 795 easily with a plastic putty knife. I use plastic putty knifes so I don't damage the gel coat and start cracks. They cost about 99 cents each and I usually buy five each time I do a job to replace a window(s) throwing them away as needed.

Some people use sand bags, i use weights 10-15 lbs hung on lines for side windows to gently press into place for three days till the 795 gets some strength. It takes over 21 days for 795 to completely cure but I sailed my boat in three days without problem.

Sep 3, 2012
Hunter 285 Grand Rivers Ky
Oh, almost forgot, cruising concepts also makes the new window bezels or window trim parts for inside the boat if you boat uses them.