28 vs 280 . . . or 295 ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clark

Jun 30, 2004
Hunter 280 Lake Guntersville, AL
I'm trying to narrow down my search list for a "new" boat and need all the info I can get on these models. I've read all the reviews posted here as well as topics that may be related. What I'd like is some feedback from those who are familiar with these and can contrast the pros and cons (besides age). Is the 295 enough larger than the 28/280 to be worth the $$? Are there any particular pain points with any of these? How do ya'll like the traveler on the 295 and its location? Thanks to all that can help . . . . PS: there are none of these near me so I have to plan trips just to see one. Thanks a Bunch!! Clark

A

Andy

295 Experience

Clark, the 295 definately has a big boat feel. We had a 295 for ten years. I grew quite accustomed to the short traveler located right at the helm. That with aft winches made the boat very easy to single hand even at almost 30ft. We really liked our 295 and only traded it after we found what we thing is a good trade up (340). Another good vote for the 295 would be that the folks that bought our old boat seem to really enjoy the boat too! What will be your typical use/crew/area of use? That may affect you decision.

Clark

Jun 30, 2004
Use/Crew/Area

Andy, We'll be mostly day sailing with occasional weekends on inland lakes. Also, I'll be single-handing . . my wife loves to ride; not crew ;-)

A

Andy

Galley and HP

Clark, I'm not that familiar with the 280 and the website spec sheet is messed up (is aux power 12 hp or 9 hp?). The 29.5 is definately more boat-wider, heavier, more aux power (18). Inside you will notice a "real" galley. But the 29.5 will cost a bit more. Can you get into the Tombigbee from Guntersville? I would sail the 29.5 in Mobile Bay, out to Dauphin, and to Orange Beach. I would be more hesitant in the 280-but I might still go if you're looking for crew!!! Good luck on your search, let us know what happens.

Dec 2, 2003
- - Tulsa, OK
280 answers

Approximately the first 60 280's had 9HP Yanmars. After that they put 18HP Yanmars in them. 9HP isn't enough for anything but the most benign conditions. Andy is right to question the 280 galley. There is very little storage space and NO room for even the smallest microwave. Using the v-berth requires moving settee cushions in the salon to allow folding down the v-berth extension. Given an option, I would go for the 29.5.

C

Clark

Andy and Larry

Most of the ads I've seen for the 280 have been w/ the larger engine so that is a good thing. I can get to Mobile Bay by water from Guntersville but we're talking a serious trip with a lot of locks to contend with. Might make for an interesting "cruise" but most of it would be by iron genny. Would probably take more than 2 weeks round trip. I've been most attracted by the 29.5; cockpit, galley, larger main berth, etc but they are ~ 10 - 15K more than the 280's and about 20K more than the 28's. Obviously part of that is age. Thanks for the feedback guys. I hope more owners chime in with their thoughts as well.

C

Clark

Landsend, we have seen and sailed a 28.5;

And while they are pretty nice, they are from the mid 80's and I didn't want to get quite that old. The 290 looks really nice but all the Yachtworld listings are 2000's and are in the high 50's.

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Clark, we had a 1989 H28 for three years...

great boat for just two, a bit of a squeeze with four adults. We did several ten and twelve day cruises mostly around Puget Sound and the San Juan islands. Terry

Jun 4, 2004
Hunter 28.5 Tolchester, MD
Hunter 28.5

They may be boats from the 80's, but if you can pick-up a deep draft 28.5 in decent condition, add good sails and afolding prop, they will sail rings around ALL the other Hunter 28's, and 280's and 295's. If you are performance oriented check out the PHRF numbers for all models you are comparing. However,look particularly at the headsail combinations with those ratings. The 28.5 is a masthead rig capable of carying a good size 155% Genoa. It may not perform as well in ares with higher average wind speeds - again, that should show up in the PHRF ratings.

B

ben montgomery

H28

I have a superb Hunter 28 that I just listed here yesterday. It's a 1989 model but looks like its 3 years old. Check it out. I moved to Jackson and have decided to downsize. Cheers, Ben

N

Neil 'Hodgey' Hodgson

I can add to this thread..

Clark.....My wife and I perused for months trying to decide 28,28.5 or 29.5 (290 was just too much money for not much more boat IMHO). We went on a 28.5 and I (6'1 and 250+) felt cramped, although the wife loved the layout. A 29.5 was found and viewed and that was it ....game over. We stumbled across a 1994, hardly used, with an interior from the 2002 standard. The 18 hp Yanmar was so clean, you could eat your dinner off it. Anyway, back to the thread, the 29.5 is much bigger in feel than the 28.5, and is plenty for four adults. The cockpit is huge and feels like a much larger boat. The traveller is absolutely fine where it is. The only con I can see on the whole boat is that because of the B&G rig, you cannot go directly downwind or the main lays on the shrouds and spreaders. But other than that, get a good survey and get one bought.

J

John

28.5 Just right

Must defend my 28.5! I have an '86 model that serves me just right. Of course if you are on the big side then any smaller boat may be a tight fit. We changed the way the head and aft cabin doors were hung and boy did our boat feel much bigger. The head door was hung so that it swings open into the main cabin. It is a folding style door so it folds in half against the chart table and does not affect the utility of the table. Aft cabin door was hung to open against the sink. Now it is much easier to get into the aft cabin- especially to service fuel or raw water filter. As far as performance, we always give the boys with their fancy rigs a run for their money and we aren't racers!!

C

Clark

You guys are Great! Just a couple more ?

I know the 28.5 does well in light air. How is the 28 and 29.5? Are the 95-96 29.5's blessed with better hull construction ie. more resistant to osmotic blistering?

A

Andy

Nothing goes without wind!

I always thought our 29.5 was slow in light air but I had a rather proficient sail trimmer with me one day and found that it "ain't the wand..its the wizard"! And in really light air downwind, the asymetrical spinaker on the 29.5 is rather fun. A clean bottom is worth a lot in light air. And when its really really light..the 29.5 motors well. Be sure and let us know what you do.

C

Clark Mason

Thanks Andy . . .

I have been keeping the B&R rig in mind and its impact on downwind sailing. As long as one can make decent progress in light air (~5 kt), that's all I'd require. There are other nice models that just do not do anything below 7 kt (w/o a gennaker/asymm or the like) that I'll probably avoid. While nicely built and equipped, the C28 and C30 are in that group.

Nov 24, 2005
Hunter 29.5 Merritt Island, H 29.5, Miss Faith
Fear not Clark.......

this last weekend, my wife and I sailed Miss Faith North for 20 odd miles in a South South Westerly and she sailed like a treasure, gybing like a good ho' does. We had her reefed her in 'cos we were due 15+k winds which never materialised for more than a couple of minutes at a time, but she still did great. Broad reaching around 5 knots in 10-12. Can't believe you haven't baought a 29.5 yet.;)

Clark

Jun 30, 2004
Neil, the closest 29.5 to me is . . .

about a 7 hour drive to Yankeetown FL and it is has one of the highest asking prices. Great excuse for a road trip though ;-). The more I "study" the listings, the better I like this model boat, just wish there were more that meet my criteria closer by. I could wait I suppose but . . . carpe diem!

A

Andy

Charter time

Clark, I don't know if she survived the H'canes, but there was a 29.5 in the fleet of Nautica Charters in Fairhope, AL (Mobile Bay). Maybe you should check and see if its available for a weekend charter. Then I'm sure you will want a 29.5 for Lake G'ville. Check the link!!

Status
Not open for further replies.