28 Oday Reefing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 30, 2009
Oday 28 Lake Michigan
Need your help. I've owned a Oday 22, Oday 25, and now a Oday 28. The previous owner took excellent care of the boat and it looks like I have bought a beauty.
The 22 and 25 both had external lines on the boom for reefing the main. The 28 lists internal reefing for the main, but the system was not set up by the previous owner, so I'm starting from scratch. I'd likr to get this set up, but do not have a clue as to how it is layed out. Any help would be appricated.

Jan 27, 2008
ODay 35 Beaufort, NC
There should be jam cleats at the front of the boom and sheaves at the aft end for the reefing lines. Under the boom should be a couple of loops riveted to the boom to tie off the reefing lines. Line goes from the loop on the boom, through the reefing grommet on the sail down thru the sheave out the jam cleat. You pull on the line at the jam cleat and then jam it to reef. There should also be a hook on the gooseneck to hook in the luff of the sail at the reef point.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
Our setup is the same as jibes. When it comes time to reef, the best order to go in is to put the luff ring onto the gooseneck hook first, then tighten the reef line, then the halyard. There should also be three sets of reefing lines on the sail that you can use to tidy things up.

Aug 3, 2010
Oday 28 Malletts Bay, Lake Champlain
I had the same question!

I see the jams and sheaves. How exactly does the line connect to the grommets on the sail. Is the bitter end just tied off. Pic anyone :)?

Jan 27, 2008
ODay 35 Beaufort, NC
There should be a couple of loops riveted on the bottom of your boom. You run the reefing line through the grommet and then tie it with a bowline to the loop on the boom. Sorry I don't have a pic. Will try to take one next time I'm on the boat.

May 17, 2004
Vtsailguy,

Sorry but I don't have any pics here. I'll do my best to capture it in words. The reef line enters the boom at the jam cleats, and runs down the boom and exits at the sheave. From there it goes up, passes through the reefing cringle in the leach, and back down to get tied off in a bowline around the hook on the bottom of the boom. Be sure to pass the line through the cringle and down across the boom without cris-crossing back over the boom.

Aug 3, 2010
Oday 28 Malletts Bay, Lake Champlain
Ahhh, great. That's exactly what I needed. It comes back from the cringe to the boom and is tied.

By any chance would you know the length of the line used for the first reef (giving the most area of reefer sail)?

Is it 3/8" line?

Thanks in advance..

Jun 10, 2004
Oday 37 World's Fair Marina, Flushing, Queens, NYC
When you lay up for the winter stuff a rag in the end of the boom to keep the critters out. When we bought our (late) boat we had to remove the boom entirely to get all the birds' nests out.

skisil

Jun 27, 2007
Oday 28 Essex, NY
Ahhh, great. That's exactly what I needed. It comes back from the cringe to the boom and is tied.

By any chance would you know the length of the line used for the first reef (giving the most area of reefer sail)?

Is it 3/8" line?

Thanks in advance..
VTSailguy - I too am on Lake Champlain with an O28. Here is a better way to tie the reef line to the boom.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbXlEsrlo1s&feature=related

May 17, 2004
skisil said:
VTSailguy - I too am on Lake Champlain with an O28. Here is a better way to tie the reef line to the boom.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbXlEsrlo1s&feature=related
The standard O'Day method that jibes and I described achieves exactly the desired condition that the video describes. The line going from the reefing grommet down to the knot in the boom loop provides the down force, while the section of line going to sheave provides the aft force. The only real difference from the video is that the oday boom provides loops to tie the bowline around, rather than using the boom itself.

Mar 7, 2010
Oday 28 ft Jamestown
Lines tie off on two eyes on the port side of the boom. The lines go up the Luff of the sail through the reef grommets, they travel down through two cheek blocks on the starboard side of the boom and foward to cleats. My reef lines are made up and ready to go, however for sailing in the bay I do not leave them up. Hope this helps

Attachments

Nov 30, 2009
Oday 28 Lake Michigan
Need your help. I've owned a Oday 22, Oday 25, and now a Oday 28. The previous owner took excellent care of the boat and it looks like I have bought a beauty.
The 22 and 25 both had external lines on the boom for reefing the main. The 28 lists internal reefing for the main, but the system was not set up by the previous owner, so I'm starting from scratch. I'd likr to get this set up, but do not have a clue as to how it is layed out. Any help would be appricated.

In September you were nice enough to give me exactly what needed to know to understand the reefing system. Since I'm in the Great Lakes, I torn down the boat for winter storage then set up the boat for sailing this summer. I see exactly how to set up the reef. Looks like a nice clean system.

Went out for my first "strong wind" sail this weekend and was very upset with myself that I did not install the reefing system. That will change here shortly.
My question is now, how can I fish/run the reefing line thru the boom? Can I.....
Tie a line to the outhaul (currently the only line internal in my boom)
Pull the outhaul and newly attached "return/lead" line back thru the boom to the gooseneck.
Attach new reefing line (my wife would think "red" would be appropiate for reefing) to the outhaul.
Pull the existing outhaul and newly attached reef line back thru the boom with the return/lead line.
Position each over different sheaves.
Run reef line from the sheave to the reef eyelet and down to the boom loop at the bottom of the boom.
How do I ensure that the reef line is not crossed with outhaul inside the boom?

Feb 26, 2009
Oday 30 Anchor Yacht Club, Bristol PA
Just drill out the rivets take the ends off and do it right. replace with new pop rivets and your done. (plus you can clean out bird and bee nests if they are in there) Your outhaul may also have a block in the boom like mine does

atroon

Aug 7, 2012
Oday 28 Grand Haven
Can I.....
Tie a line to the outhaul (currently the only line internal in my boom)
Pull the outhaul and newly attached "return/lead" line back thru the boom to the gooseneck.
Attach new reefing line (my wife would think "red" would be appropiate for reefing) to the outhaul.
Pull the existing outhaul and newly attached reef line back thru the boom with the return/lead line.
Position each over different sheaves.
Run reef line from the sheave to the reef eyelet and down to the boom loop at the bottom of the boom.
How do I ensure that the reef line is not crossed with outhaul inside the boom?
There's an internal sheave for a 2:1 advantage on the outhaul that makes this impractical, at least there is on my O28 boom (1979). I had an overenthusiastic helper and no stopper knot, so I found this out the hard way. Had to remove bolts for the mainsheet bail and boom vang in order to get things re-threaded.

Although in my case, I think the reefing lines ran through the other portion of the boom near where the bolt rope slides in, I did not see them in the main portion of the tube where I was re-stringing the outhaul.

In my case, I used an electrician's tool called 'Fish Stix' which are fiberglass sticks, 12' long altogether, with a hook on the end. Available at the local Menards, Home Depot, Lowe's, etc. Hope that helps!

Nov 30, 2009
Oday 28 Lake Michigan
There's an internal sheave for a 2:1 advantage on the outhaul that makes this impractical, at least there is on my O28 boom (1979). I had an overenthusiastic helper and no stopper knot, so I found this out the hard way. Had to remove bolts for the mainsheet bail and boom vang in order to get things re-threaded.

Although in my case, I think the reefing lines ran through the other portion of the boom near where the bolt rope slides in, I did not see them in the main portion of the tube where I was re-stringing the outhaul.

In my case, I used an electrician's tool called 'Fish Stix' which are fiberglass sticks, 12' long altogether, with a hook on the end. Available at the local Menards, Home Depot, Lowe's, etc. Hope that helps!

That internal sheave was one of my concerns. I knew there was apotential for them being a part of the system, but was not sure. The more I think about this, the more I like the alternative (an much simplier ) system of external lines on the boom.

Status
Not open for further replies.