272LE shift cable replacement

Jun 1, 2007
O'Day 322 Mt.Sinai
I have to replace my shifter cable. Any advice? I've searched the archives and haven't found anything much...

O'Day 1987 272LE

thanks..

Jan 27, 2008
ODay 35 Beaufort, NC
Not sure if they're the same but I replaced mine two years ago. The cable should be marked with the length you need, so look over the current cable very closely for the length. Teleflex makes the cable and you can get them from the various boat supply sources maybe even this site, so check the store here first. Do you have an Edson pedestal with wheel for steering?

Jan 27, 2008
ODay 35 Beaufort, NC
You probably need the teleflex 3300/33c style cables. I can offer advice on pulling apart the pedestal if you have one.

Pat

Jun 7, 2004
Oday 272LE Ninnescah Yacht Club, Wichita, Ks.
On our LE the shifting cable was crushed by a battery in the lazarette and I called Edson
and spoke with a fellow Austin Reed who shipped me two cables immediately as we did not have the original one out yet...he also stuck with us for 3 days during a family reunion so we would know the installation procedure...We met him later at the Newport Boat Show...It took three of us most of a morning to installl the new cable...was very tight in the pedestal but worked as he said it would......If I were doing this again, I would call him again...good luck! Patrick

Jun 1, 2007
O'Day 322 Mt.Sinai
Thanks all, yes, it's an Edson pedestal... not the easiest area to work in. I'm headed to the boat now to hopefully get the old one out...

Jun 1, 2007
O'Day 322 Mt.Sinai
Couldn't get the old one out today, but I got the number (251052?). Ran into an issue with a clamp of some sort about 8-9" down into the pedestal that supports both the throttle and transmission cables. Not sure exactly how I need to take things apart to get in there, so I closed it up to do some research...

Pat

Jun 7, 2004
Oday 272LE Ninnescah Yacht Club, Wichita, Ks.
I would contact Edson as they can help you...it is a bit of hard work....Ask for Austin Reed
in Customer Service. Patrick...Find Edson on google.

Jan 27, 2008
ODay 35 Beaufort, NC
The clamp inside should have a nut on the outside below the wheel, you remove that nut, push the bolt through the hole then you can pull the cables up through the top. You will likely need to loosen your steering cables at the quadrant to take the chain off the sprocket to have room to work on the cables.

Jun 1, 2007
O'Day 322 Mt.Sinai
Thanks jibes. Will try and get it out tomorrow. Is the bolt I'm pushing in likely to fall down the pedestal? Or, is it secured to the clamp assembly?

Jan 27, 2008
ODay 35 Beaufort, NC
it's secured to the clamp assembly, you push it in and it allows you to pull the clamp assembly along with the cables up through the top, but in my case I had to loosen the steering cables at the quadrant and move the chain off the sprocket to have room to pull it up. You should replace your throttle cable while your at it. The cables are fairly inexpensive and it will save you from doing it again since they last for a few decades of use. I had a real tough time removing the control housing, the housing that the shifter and throttle handles go through. The screws are steel and the housing they screw into is aluminum so of course after 29 years they were seized up. I got two out but the other two I had to cut the heads off to remove the housing. Then a few days of PB Blaster and using vices grips on the exposed shafts I kept working them back and forth until finally they freed up and I got them out. I bought hex head bolts to replace them and liberally applied anti seize compound (available at auto part stores) to the threads when I reassembled. You might want to run a tap through the holes to clean out any corrosion or contaminants before putting it back together.