272 Spinnaker Halyard

Sep 16, 2014
Oday 272 Ventura
Major issue today with brand new spin halyard mounted on bail with garhauer block. Boatyard mounted it and said wouldn't interfere with my furler. Sure as all get up first time out tangles up with furler and had to pull spin halyard off in order to roll up furler. What are other 272 owners doing. I am pissed at the yard but more upset with myself. Need to figure this out. Maybe i need to use sheave but boatyard thought would interfere with furler. Boy were they wrong. Please help and any pics would be nice. Thanks

Sep 16, 2014
Oday 272 Ventura
Yes Isomat mast. The boatyard kept the halyard external. Think that is where problem lies. I have free sheave up there but boatyard thought better to keep external. Shows what they know. I even told him it looks like might interfere with my furler.

Sep 16, 2014
Oday 272 Ventura
Hello Don Anderson,

Just saw your message via my Zenfolio photo albums page:

Alphonse can you tell me how the spinnaker halyard is run through your blocks on the top of mast? The boatyard installed mine and first time the spin halyard got tangled with roller furler. Was not able to roll furler in. I think where they messed up is the spin halyard should have been fed through the sheave at top. Any help would be great.
My boat’s furler is a Harken Unit 00 Flexible Furler. They discontinued the model due to problems with the luff foil. But dimensionally I believe it is the same as the later model with aluminum extrusions that Harken came out with. It is also similar to other brand flexible furlers.

The problem with the furlers and a spinnaker halyard is the top swivel of the furler catching the spinnaker halyard as it runs down the face of the mast to where it enters the mast.

The solution my friend and sailing mentor Ed Laviano (RIP) at Bellpat Marine (out of business) came up with is a simple fairlead just below the mast truck. And a picture is worth a thousand words!

The blue with white trace line is the spinnaker halyard. It runs through the bullet block hung on the forward bale on the mast truck The hauling end passes through the fairlead just a few inches below, then enters the mast further down, then runs internally to an exit sheave in the mast base. If my memory serves me correctly the entrance penetration was factory installed. As to the exit sheave, the cheeks for it were part of the casting, but I had to add the sheave and its axel pin.

Underway, I usually took the load end (with halyard shackle) to the outside of the shrouds and attach it to the cabin top grab rail. My spinnaker storage bag is set up for launching from the side behind the main as opposed to from forward at the pulpit. I can’t recall if the load end of halyard clears the furler if it’s stored attached to the pulpit (at the lifeline attachment bale).

When docked, I use the spinnaker halyard to hoist a snorkel cover over the genoa (mine does not have the built in Sunbrella along the leech and foot).

My spinnaker pole topping lift also runs internal to the mast. I had to add the entrance sheave for it, as well as another sheave in the mast base.

The dirty white line you see coming from the mast truck is an internally run genoa halyard. There’s actually two, but the second one is hidden behind the toggle attachment for the forestay.

If you have any questions, feel free to give me a call.
I had to find something out because finding 272s with people running a spinnaker is tough. This guy Alphonse knew exactly what I was running into. Now I know why Oday put that hole in the mast below the furler about 2 feet. To run the spin halyard through. Genius!

Attachments

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
ANYTIME you use your furler you have to double check and be sure your spin halyard is tight and out of the way of your furler. Part of the deal.

Aug 3, 2012
Performance Cruising Telstar 28 302 Watkins Glen
Yeah. That block is gonna sit in front of your forestay and then the line will try to pass behind it, getting wrapped up if you spin the furler. If you have two internal halyards, why not use one for the spin pole topping lift and the other for the Spinnaker?

Sep 16, 2014
Oday 272 Ventura
I am pretty positive reason is, you want that spin halyard in front and on top of forestay that's why they placed the bail on the top of mast. I now know why they put an entrance hole a couple feet below the forestay. To run the spin halyard into the mast.

Sep 16, 2014
Oday 272 Ventura
The block is on top of forestay that has clearance it was the line that was interfering but when Alphonse responded he gave me the ticket which was mounting the fairlead on the mast into that slot in the mast. The rigger when installing the spin halyard indicated that second sheave would interfere for sure.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
The fairlead is for the jib halyard... it's called a halyard restrainer. It keeps the jib halyard, the one holding up the furler's swivel, from wrapping around the forestay. The spinnaker halyard will work much better if you keep it completely external. Keep it under tension by clipping the shackle end to the pole ring and cleating the other end. Even if the swivel should come in contact with the tensioned spin halyard occasionally there shouldn't be any issues. When the spinnaker is flying.. it's halyard block will be floating on the crane, out in front of the forestay with the sail. The lower end of the halyard will be taut against the mast. The jib halyards and topping lift.. since they are internal, will be out of the way.

If you're not planning to use the spinnaker at all, or you want to keep it slapping while the boat is moored.... take both sections and flip them behind the spreaders before cleating. That will keep it out of the way and out of contact with the mast.. so you'll be a good boat neighbor with nor slapping halyards.

Sep 16, 2014
Oday 272 Ventura
Joe that fairlead that Alphonse setup was for the spin halyard. The blue line. I do not have a jib halyard on my rig per se that runs on mast. My jib halyard runs on my furler and cleats down on near furling drum. The halyard is in the extrusions. I am flying an asymmetrical so no need for any pole. That fairlead needs to be mounted to make sure spin halyard never can interfere because it is so close to the furling mechanism.

Apex

Jun 19, 2013
C&C 30 Elk Rapids
the fairlead will cause the block to pull aft instead of staying out front..

Sep 16, 2014
Oday 272 Ventura
Alphonse says no issues at all and he has been flying his for some years now. I can't find anybody with any other solution flying a 272 spinnaker.

Sep 16, 2014
Oday 272 Ventura
After research decided to call Rudy at DR Marine. Probably the smartest thing I ever did. He confirmed what I thought all along. Oday never offered the spinnaker as even an option. The buyer would have to figure out how to do it. Zspar had the things for it with the bale but that was it. Absolutely not to use sheave at top because of chafe and the inability to not rotate. He referred me to Bay Sailing in MA which did all the rigging for the ODay's brand new. I guess a big outfit. The manager is still around and remembers the 272 really well. The 272 he told me was pushed for the casual cruiser and their bestseller, in fact he can't remember anyone even asking them to rig a spinnaker. LOL! He knows the block on the bale has to be port or starboard, can't be center because it will hang up on furler. So he says you have to configure it to stay on one side or the other. Then you have to mount fair lead so does not even get close to the furling mechanism. It was such a poor design he said for spinnaker use. Now I know why hardly anyone is flying a Spinnaker and I can't get info. Alphonse I guess figured that out with Bellpat Marine. So that is it in nutshell.

Today boat goes into boatyard with crane for the setup.
I hope this helps someone if they ever decide to mount the setup.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Your situation is not unique to you or your boat. Lots of masthead rigged boat with furlers fly spinnakers on external halyards without problems. Unlike what you were told, I would suggest is looking at modding your masthead crane to fix the block at center, and maybe extend it out an inch or two. I would guess that most of the tangles come from the block being snagged on the wrong side during a headsail furl/unfurl. Fixing it would solve that.

Do a google image search of: masthead spinnaker crane

For ideas.

Sep 16, 2014
Oday 272 Ventura
Jackdaw thanks looked at your info and they mounted extensions. They actually sell them. Very common problem on the masthead rigs for sure. With the popularity of the asymmetricals it has come to light. A Big Lebowski phrase. LOL! All the new boats are setup to run these sails.

Sep 16, 2014
Oday 272 Ventura
Here is the completed project for spinnaker halyard today. Tested roller furler and no issues. The key was fair lead and mounting on port side. Just cant be in center of bale likely to foul the furler as we tested it.

Attachments