272 owners: what weight and style of anchor do you have?

Jul 12, 2020
O'day 272 Inlet Watch Yacht Club
Hey all! Our 1986 272's anchor is stored in the anchor locker. It looks like 5/16 galvanized chain. It does not have a bow roller. In your opinion, how important is it to have a bow roller? We didn't set anchor, so I didn't experience what it will be like hauling the anchor and chain in and out of the locker, but it looks like it might be a pain in the behind... Your thoughts? Lastly, what weight, style and brand anchor do you have?

Thanks!

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
5/16" diameter chain looks good for your size boat. Refer to the West Marine "Selecting-An-Anchor-Rode" link below. A bow roller allows you to keep your anchor permanently mounted on the front of your boat AND provides a rolling surface that makes it easier to drop the anchor and rode without banging up your topsides and bow. Lots of different type of anchors to choose from and their weight depends on anchoring conditions (current, wind and bottom) and boat length/weight. For example, I have a Manson Supreme, which works well in the SF Bay mud (see attached chart for selection). Refer to the link below entitled "anchor-selection-guide-how-to-choose-the-best-boat-anchor-type". If you do not have one, highly recommend a swivel between the chain and anchor (refer the article in the Sail Magazine entitled "anchor-swivels-keep-your-boat-safe-by-using-them-correctly".

Attachments

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Depends on where you want to sail and anchor for chain size and anchor type and sizing. 5/16" is usually associated with windlasses for mid-sized boats like yours and mine. I disagree about swivels. So does Maine Sail. In addition to sfbay's good links, here are some more:

Anchoring 101 Anchors & TEST Results of New Generation Anchors EXCELLENT & Important

Anchor Selection 101 includes good discussions of various system selections and pictures of new generation anchors on bowsprits both short and extended Roll bar anchors on bow roller Rocna Flix

Why NEW GEN Anchors are Better:

Anchors & TEST Results of New Generation Anchors EXCELLENT & Important

Anchor System Sizing Tables (Reply #6) & Swivels Ground Tackle & Anchor System Sizing TABLES & Swivels

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Stu.................my sailboat anchor/rode came with a swivel and the PO anchored up and down the California coast. Curious what the disadvantages are and whether I should ditch it. Thanks!!

Jan 27, 2008
ODay 35 Beaufort, NC
Several years back there was a lengthy thread on anchor swivels and over the years too many anchor threads to count. Do a search and scan some of the older threads. Stu is spot on about anchor swivels. I'm sure they work great until they don't.