272 mainstream options

Jaxn

May 17, 2021
O'Day 272 Percy Priest
I bought a 272 last week and find the mainsheet... odd.

Going through the manual and looking at pictures of other boats, it seems that the mainsheet really is intended to lead to the clutch on the top of the cabin. It seems really difficult to trim the main, particularly things like dumping wind during a gust.

Are there benefits to this setup that I am missing?

Has anyone changed this to a more traditional block with a cam cleat attached to the traveler? Or maybe a cam cleat in place of the clutch?

Jaxn

May 17, 2021
O'Day 272 Percy Priest
Off to a great start here. First post and already a typo in the title. It's supposed to say mainsheet, but mainstream kinda works.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your new boat!

It sounds like what you’re seeing is the result of design compromises. Boats have many of them in one form or another. The 272 traveler is on the cabin roof to keep it out of the way of the cabin, and from the pictures I’ve seen bowed to match the curvature of the cabin and companionway hatch. Unfortunately the relatively significant bow would probably make it difficult to rig a traditional line controlled traveler, so you might not have many options for using the traveler position as a dynamic sail control. It should, however, be possible to still use the sheet that way and dump it quickly in a gust. When you open the clutch does the sheet run out fairly quickly? If not it may be a bit oversized for the clutch, or have swollen over time. Can you trim the sheet all the way in, even in stronger winds, by hand, or do you need a winch? If it’s manageable by hand you can probably use a cam instead of a clutch. If not you might still be able to consider a cam, but it would probably need to be on the vertical surface of the front of the cockpit, after the winch instead of before it.

Jaxn

May 17, 2021
O'Day 272 Percy Priest
Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your new boat!

It sounds like what you’re seeing is the result of design compromises. Boats have many of them in one form or another. The 272 traveler is on the cabin roof to keep it out of the way of the cabin, and from the pictures I’ve seen bowed to match the curvature of the cabin and companionway hatch. Unfortunately the relatively significant bow would probably make it difficult to rig a traditional line controlled traveler, so you might not have many options for using the traveler position as a dynamic sail control. It should, however, be possible to still use the sheet that way and dump it quickly in a gust. When you open the clutch does the sheet run out fairly quickly? If not it may be a bit oversized for the clutch, or have swollen over time. Can you trim the sheet all the way in, even in stronger winds, by hand, or do you need a winch? If it’s manageable by hand you can probably use a cam instead of a clutch. If not you might still be able to consider a cam, but it would probably need to be on the vertical surface of the front of the cockpit, after the winch instead of before it.
I am lucky to have a nice traveller's upgrade on this boat with spinlock cleats on each side. I may just not know how to trim a main with the traveler.

I don't need the winch to pull in the main and was mostly worried about easing when beating.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Can you reach the mainsheet from the helm? That would be the minimum requirement for the T/M system. Just because the boat came with a configuration doesn't mean it has to stay that way. My Mark 25 (C&C 25) had the mid boom traveler on the cabin top and it was totally unsuitable. I ditched all the control line for it and just used the mainsheet which was cleated back at the helm. Much better.
If you don't like the way yours is configured, change it. You have the opportunity to design something that will work for you!

Jan 19, 2010
Catalina 34 Casco Bay
The 272 LE that we owned had a traveler. While the mainsheet was held hard, you could easily dump in a gust by releasing the windward traveler sheet...

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
I have an O’Day 322 with a traveller and a main sheet. I almost never adjust my mainsheet, but I use the traveller all of the time. I find it very easy to dump wind with the traveller, while maintaining the sail shape, so I can pull it right back into place when the gust passes.

I usually only use the main sheet when going pretty deep downwind and want to get the sail out as far as I can... my 322 has swept-back spreaders, so I cannot get the sail out as far as other boats.

My mainsheet rigging wasn’t quite right when I bought the boat (lots of friction in the systEM). I studied the rigging and blocks, saw where it was interfering with the vang and sorted that all out...now the mainsheet moves much better and it is easier to move the boom.

20C9659E-F3A4-42FB-B6C0-01EA72CFB22A.jpeg

Greg