272 main salon

Sep 16, 2014
Oday 272 Ventura
Question for 272 or 272LE owners. In your main salon are the cushions for the back hinged or stationary? The reason I ask you is because mine are stationary and not hinged. I was reading my original brochure and it says they are hinged so it can become a sleeping bunk.

Sep 16, 2014
Oday 272 Ventura
Wonder why my brochure would say it was hinged. I wish they were hinged. I need to find someone that has the hinged model.

Pat

Jun 7, 2004
Oday 272LE Ninnescah Yacht Club, Wichita, Ks.
My 272 cabin cushions are not hinged.

Sep 16, 2014
Oday 272 Ventura
I am thinking they decided to change the design after the brochure was printed. Only logical decision.

Aug 3, 2012
Performance Cruising Telstar 28 302 Watkins Glen
Yeah. The way the cushions are designed, it makes no difference to hinge them. What would make a huge difference is if you made a slider like the Oday 26. Then you would have a double or triple berth in the salon.

Sep 16, 2014
Oday 272 Ventura
agprice22 you can see from the pic with my granddaughter that I am kinda big, comes from being a bodybuilder for years and my shoulder width is excessive so if I try and take a nap my shoulders hit the back where my wife can get under the back with no problem. If it was hinged then I would have all that room that is not being used for my shoulders to fit. My friend is a carpenter and I will see if he comes up with something.

Aug 3, 2012
I think I am not understanding. Which cushions do you want to hinge? how would you hinge them to create more width? Sounds interesting. I just may have to adopt it!

Thanks,

Sep 16, 2014
Oday 272 Ventura
The ability for the back cushions to fold up high and latch. I saw a modification on one 272 that the owner took out the entire back and placed a cushion almost directly on the hull. Opened up the seating but he lost the shelving space. I don't want to lose the shelving.

Aug 3, 2012
Ah! I get it. Yes, my seatbacks project out over the settee almost a foot. I had thought about creating a sliding settee that would add an extra 1 - 1 1/2 feet to the settee. It would slide along a rail attached to the bulkhead at the forward end of the salon, and it would have a pair of fold-down legs to support the center and aft end. In fact, we considered making a board that would sit across the salon, fitting into the two settees, making a kingsize berth! Since it is only my wife and I, we figured it wouldn't bother us. Both of these mods would be boards that would be stored when not in use, so the salon returns to normal.

Sep 16, 2014
Oday 272 Ventura
The board is a great idea with the large bed. I had that on my Ericson 30+. The Oday 272 has that large aft berth which is awesome so never considered making that king berth. I am going to come up with something for those seatbacks. As soon as I do will shoot you the pics.

On ebay someone had or has an Oday 272 with that bunk conversion for sale. First time i ever saw that. A lot of 272's out there but few belong to the forum or contribute.