272 demasted

Jul 24, 2014
Oday 272 Madison
Sailing my 1988 Oday 272 close hauled in 8 knots of wind, the port side lower stay let loose. Before I could release the main sheet, the mast and genoa went into the water. The mast is now torn, bent about 90 degrees just below the spreaders. She's a good boat. What are my chances of finding a new mast? Any experience with cutting/patching a broken mast?

Attachments

USY27

Apr 16, 2007
O'day 25 Salem, MA
Sorry to hear of your mast trouble.

Look on this used parts site. They're in MA but can truck the large pieces anywhere in US. Not sure of the prices but their boat yard has a lot of stuff as they strip junked boats almost daily.

http://www.massmarineparts.com/masts.aspx

Jul 24, 2014
Oday 272 Madison
Thank you

Sorry to hear of your mast trouble.

Look on this used parts site. They're in MA but can truck the large pieces anywhere in US. Not sure of the prices but their boat yard has a lot of stuff as they strip junked boats almost daily.

http://www.massmarineparts.com/masts.aspx
They have a mast for a 77 O'day 27' and a couple of O'day 28's. I don't know how interchangeable the masts are. I emailed the company and we'll see what they say. Thanks for the lead.

Aug 3, 2012
Performance Cruising Telstar 28 302 Watkins Glen
Sorry to hear of your loss. I can imagine it was frightening at the time, and is now saddening. Wonderful that someone has a replacement. I imagine with a little work, you could put many mast/step plate combinations on the boat. A little trimming or a few inches of spacer beneath the step plate will fit many masts. However, it looks like you have an option already. That mast looks pretty cleanly bent. You might send a picture to a repair yard to see if they can cut it and repair it. It would likely cost a fraction of a used mast.

For curiosity sake, what failed on that lower shroud? How is it attached?

Every season, we see a few catastrophic or near catastrophic equipment failures, and in most cases, a 5 minute boat inspection of pins and chainplates prior to casting off would have found the problem. This is especially true of boats kept in slips. I bet trailer sailers handle their rigging ;) more often, so they get a chance to inspect the equiment more often!

Thanks,

Andrew

Dec 27, 2011
Oday 272 Pensacola
Sorry to here about your accident.

I purchased my '87 272 2.5 yrs ago. I am the second 272 owner in my marina. I have not been able to talk to the other owner, but heard he also lost his mast, and took over a year to get it replaced. Of course, there could be 100's of reasons why it took that long... Here in Central Gulf Coast, boats/parts carry a much higher premium than many locations 'up East'. So maybe you won't have too hard a time finding/replacing your mast.

Good luck

Charles

Aug 20, 2010
Oday 27 Oak Orchard
The 77 Oday 27 mast is a Rig Rite mast that is obsolete. The 272 mast is about 4 feet shorter as well. You can also try Charleston Spar in North Carolina for options.

Nov 9, 2012
Oday 192 Lake Nockamixon
Check with Rudy at www.drmarine.com. If you're lucky, it is a Dwyer mast, and you may still be able to get a new mast section, then move all the hardware over.

Jul 24, 2014
Oday 272 Madison
Standing rigging inspection

Believe me I've already vowed never to sail again before inspecting the standing rigging. I'm sure I casually checked the turnbuckles and pins, but my new vow is close inspection each time I sail.

Sorry to hear of your loss. I can imagine it was frightening at the time, and is now saddening. Wonderful that someone has a replacement. I imagine with a little work, you could put many mast/step plate combinations on the boat. A little trimming or a few inches of spacer beneath the step plate will fit many masts. However, it looks like you have an option already. That mast looks pretty cleanly bent. You might send a picture to a repair yard to see if they can cut it and repair it. It would likely cost a fraction of a used mast.

For curiosity sake, what failed on that lower shroud? How is it attached?

Every season, we see a few catastrophic or near catastrophic equipment failures, and in most cases, a 5 minute boat inspection of pins and chainplates prior to casting off would have found the problem. This is especially true of boats kept in slips. I bet trailer sailers handle their rigging ;) more often, so they get a chance to inspect the equiment more often!

Thanks,

Andrew