272 alert

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

dennis young

Just got my 272LE in the water for my second season and noticed while tied up at the marina that I had more helm turning the wheel to port than to starboard. Decided to go into the lazaret to check out the steering box and found the following: It seems that in turning to starboard my rudder is brought to a stop by the cable clamp hitting the side of the box -- whereas in turning to port the clamp seems to have been inverted or reversed allowing the end of the arm to emerge from the box and hit the fiberglas of the transom. My boat is a 1987 and I guess this has been going on since she was first comissioned. The result is two deep gouges where the end of the arm hits, now ALMOST THROUGH THE TRANSOM. I suggest all owners check for something similar. The remedy is either to reverse the engagement of the cable (very difficult to get at) or to repair the damage with epoxy and cover it with a thin metal sheet (and check it out at the end of each season). I intend to do the latter. By the way, my previous boat seemed to have a greater degree of helm either way than my 272LE. Anyone like to comment?

Status
Not open for further replies.