26x Wanders; Centerboard; Rudders; steering wheel

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Duane Mason

Wander Wonder: Our 26x is a handful to sail upwind. the true wind direction was coming from 270 but we could only make 210. is that normal? And holding a course is very difficult. True, we had decent swells, but I thought we should track better and be able to head more into the wind. Any ideas? Centerboard: Then I took a nap, and I think I heard the center board klunk into place every few seconds. The tether pulls it up, but there is not one to hold it down. Any comments on this? This in conjuction with its wandering, got to thinking this might be part of the problem. Centerboard up or down, when docking under power? I was in shalow water and brought the centerboard up. But I think this made the boat more difficult to steer under power. The boat did not make tight turns and would drift out of the turning arch. Is it better to leave it down always, unless running down wind? Rudders: The control of the boat is a little tame, imho. so i was thinking about replacing the stock rudders with ones with more surface area. ideas? Steering Wheel: I am thinking a larger diameter would be an improvement. comments? Thanks in advance, Duane duanemason@iwon.com

J

Jack Brunicon

Centerboard down 1/4 way

I've found and several people have told me to leave the board 1/4 down while motoring. Also keep the rudders in the water while steering in the harbor. This gives better control. There is a lot of side play in my 2002 26X centerboard. I don't know if there is a way to tighten it up. When I'm sailing upwind I can't get closer than 50 degrees off of the wind. On steering, there is a friction adjustment bolt on my Honda located at the back of the pivot point. This made my steering easier. A bigger wheel would take up too much room in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.