26X vs 26M

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 26, 2012
I would like to get some comparisons / advice between these two models. Are there any major advantages of one over the other? I currently sail local lakes on my Venture222 and would like to upgrade with the ability to do some coastal BC trips.

Apr 21, 2012
Macgregor 26X Kansas City
I have sailed both but ended up buying the X for the roomier cabin. Both have similar hulls though the M has a slightly deeper V to it. I could not tell the difference between them performance wise. The X has a much larger head but it comes at the expense of making it more difficult to access the starboard side aft berth. I found the cockpit on the M extremely narrow and hard to move adult crewmembers around in. On the flip side, the X is MUCH wider but this also can make it sometimes difficult to brace your feet when a puff causes you to suddenly heal. The narrower M cockpit also creates more room in the aft berth. My best suggestion would be to spend some time on both with your crew and see which meets your comfort level the best. Oh, and if one of those colored hulls catch your eye, take a look around the marina at how fast they oxidize. It takes a lot of time and elbow grease to keep those pretty colors looking good.

Fair winds and happy hunting on your new boat.
Cpt. Azz

Apr 21, 2012
Macgregor 26X Kansas City
Good luck with your hunt and keep us posted on your new purchase. Macgregor made over 5000 of the X model so there are always a good supply on the market and they hold their resale value well. The trick for us was finding one close by. We ended up purchasing Chameleon off Lake Mead which was a 1500 mile trip for us but we really liked the way the PO had equipped it. He owned a sailboat outfitting business in CA so she has a lot of equipment not normally found on a trailerable sailboat.

Sep 5, 2007
MacGregor 26X Rochester
So did mine, but I ripped most of it out. :D

They had it equipped for long distance cruising, and it's just too small for that. I couldn't even move in there. It took me and my FIL two days to empty it.

But they did have things like a full cockpit enclosure from Dowsar, so I'm not complaining. :dance:

May 26, 2012
Well, I upgraded from the Mac 22 to a 2008 Hunter 25. (apologies to the Mac crowd for switching). Purchased it 2300 miles away but it was worth the trip. She is now on the dry awaiting spring. If there are any advice from Hunter 25 owners out there I would really appreciate it.

Dec 28, 2011
MacGregor 26D Boston
Mysparrow22 said:
Well, I upgraded from the Mac 22 to a 2008 Hunter 25. (apologies to the Mac crowd for switching). Purchased it 2300 miles away but it was worth the trip. She is now on the dry awaiting spring. If there are any advice from Hunter 25 owners out there I would really appreciate it.
There's a whole Hunter forum on this website where you'll find 100% more advice. Need help with the forum navigation?

Status
Not open for further replies.