26X speed when loaded

Oct 8, 2014
NA NA NA
Hi Folks,
I am wondering if any 26X or 26M owners can speak to the effect on speed (and getting on plane) when the boat is loaded? Everything I read tells me 20-22 mph with the 50 HP outboard. However, I have also read some posts that make me concerned that the boat might only do those speeds when well under weight capacity and on glassy water. Do owners find that to be true? Under less ideal conditions are folks still able to get the boat on plane and do better than hull speed? Are any of these concerns offset much by moving to a 70 HP? Also, can anyone actually tell me the true weight capacity of 26X? I found info that indicated 6 people, but I am not sure how much gear that accounts for?

By way of context, we have been sailing a Mac 26S for about 5 years and have really enjoyed it. We do tend to push our weight capacity a bit (e.g. sailing about 800lbs of humans and another 300 pounds or so of gear). We have done some somewhat lengthy trips with it. I have a moderate interest in the 26X for the ability to do more than the 6kts that my 26S can do, even if I lose some sailing performance. There are also other draws (e.g. pedestal helm, more open interior). However, if the increased speed of 26X is not attainable with a fairly full load, I find it less attractive. I am more into cruising distances than pulling a water skier. Other boats for my wandering eye include the Nimble Nomad.

Thanks,
John

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
I went out for a test sail on a 26x when I was considering a 26X or 26M.

We were in Lake Michigan, 2 on board and whatever gear the owner usually has on board. I don’t recall what motor he had...but I think a 50 HP.

Sea state was a bit choppy.

I was left with a few impressions:
1) The 26x didn’t sail all that well...maybe because of the conditions and water-ballast, but we seemed to be bouncing around like a ping pong ball.

2) The 26x didn't motor at all like I thought it would. We could not get the boat to plane...in fact, she sort of wallowed in the water. Not sure if we had drained the ballast at that point. That would certainly make a difference, but my recollection is that the owner open the drain valve.

I know that the 26M is different from the type of keel (swing keel on the X and dagger board on the M), but the basic design is pretty similar with the water ballast.

Hopefully other owners will chime in...there are a few variables that I don’t recall From my test sail...

For me, sailing on Lake Michigan, I chose a traditional displacement boat with a Diesel engine and have been happy.

Greg

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Fort Walton Yacht Club, Florida
Had a friend with one in Biloxi. It was a poor power boat and a lousy sailboat on a terrible trailer. Other than that it was great.

I hear that there are people who praise them, so don't let others make up your mind

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
The best attributes of M 26X is that it is great at anchor. It can be the first one to get to the anchorage and it offers comfortable space in which to lounge.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
No offense, but if you need speed, why not get a power boat? Keep the 26S for sailing.

Jan 22, 2008
Macgregor 26X Ghost Lake, Cochrane AB
Hi Folks,
I am wondering if any 26X or 26M owners can speak to the effect on speed (and getting on plane) when the boat is loaded? Everything I read tells me 20-22 mph with the 50 HP outboard. However, I have also read some posts that make me concerned that the boat might only do those speeds when well under weight capacity and on glassy water. Do owners find that to be true? Under less ideal conditions are folks still able to get the boat on plane and do better than hull speed? Are any of these concerns offset much by moving to a 70 HP? Also, can anyone actually tell me the true weight capacity of 26X? I found info that indicated 6 people, but I am not sure how much gear that accounts for?

By way of context, we have been sailing a Mac 26S for about 5 years and have really enjoyed it. We do tend to push our weight capacity a bit (e.g. sailing about 800lbs of humans and another 300 pounds or so of gear). We have done some somewhat lengthy trips with it. I have a moderate interest in the 26X for the ability to do more than the 6kts that my 26S can do, even if I lose some sailing performance. There are also other draws (e.g. pedestal helm, more open interior). However, if the increased speed of 26X is not attainable with a fairly full load, I find it less attractive. I am more into cruising distances than pulling a water skier. Other boats for my wandering eye include the Nimble Nomad.

Thanks,
John
I have a 26X with older 2 stroke oil injected 50 HP Nissan. My local (fresh) water is at 4700 ft elevation, hence I lose about 14% HP due to that, leaving only about43 HP. It will just plane but only if very lightly loaded and unballasted. and on flat water. Used to have a friend in San Diego with the same (older) hardware, and between sea level issue and salt water the boat was noticeably faster. If loaded or plus ballast I think my engine is under propped, ie not quite getting it all into the water. If I was starting all over AND IF I cared about more speed, I'd start with a 70 with it's bigger or more agressive pitch prop. That would also be great for motorsailing, where the low engine power operation will help get you where you want to go faster than only sail, at minimal fuel for the 4 stroke. (and little noise at that low power with the 4 stroke)
That said I rarely use it that way, as I'm on a reservoir that's only 11 KM long, so I haven't bothered with all of this. usually only use the motor getting in /out and getting away from a ramp, other than when bad weather (lightning) appears quickly off the Rockies.(which is part of the reason I bought the X in the first place, as we have RAPIDLY changing weather sometimes)

Jim26m

Apr 3, 2019
Macgregor 26M Mobile AL
Don't know about the 26X, but I can speak to the 26M.

With only day-sailing supplies, I can get right at 20 mph with my Etec 60, no ballast and 4 slim adults. Ballast knocks off 2-3mph.

I'm at sea level.

Last edited:
May 31, 2014
Macgregor 26x Georgetown ME
You might get 20Knots with an empty boat and the sails off ( maybe the mast as well.). I have been sailing my 26X on the Maine coast for eight years. I have a 2012 Evinrude E-Tec 50. The best I can do with the sails furled and the dodger up, is 14-16 knots. It gets up on sort of a plane. I don’t run it at wide open throttle for very long, since the helm seat is basically on top of the motor and it is LOUD! However I can cruise happily at about 10 knots towing a dinghy and that’s far faster than other cruising sailboats and way above hull speed.

Jon
Dream Catcher

Jim26m

Apr 3, 2019
Macgregor 26M Mobile AL
If you want speed in a sailboat get a melges 24. If you want speed under power get a power boat
Valid point.

But what about those of us who want a bit of both in a trailerable configuration? Not everyone's cup of tea I understand. But I enjoy it.

Jim26m

Apr 3, 2019
Macgregor 26M Mobile AL
Hi Folks,

Thanks,
John
With an Etec 60, propped right, I can plane at sea level with 800 pounds of crew, but never had 300 pounds of gear while doing it. As @kenny13669 points out, if you are at high elevation, go to a bigger motor than you think you need. I don't believe you can run either the X or M at 20 mph with a 50hp, even at sea level. Also, kenny's point regarding prop selection is spot on.

As you go bigger, you have to watch that the power head doesn't hit the helm seat when tilted (M model, don't know if the X has that issue). There are guys with over 100 hp on them. 90's are pretty common.