26x- How Fast Under Power?

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Doug L

I am considering buying a used MacGregor 26x. This would replace my current Mac 25. The boat that I was looking at is powered by a 50 hp Mecury Bigfoot. The current owner says that he has only been able to get about 12 knots at full throttle with the ballast drained out. Much of the reason that this boat is for sale is because the speed under power does not meet the owners expectations. He says that the boat never gets up on a plane. I know that several props have been tried, & the current prop is 11" pitch. He also has a 13" pitch prop that came with the motor. My real question, before I buy a 26x, is what is a realistic speed under power for these boats, with a 50 hp 4 stroke, both with the ballast drained, and with the ballast tank full?

S

shadow sailor

unless i am mistaken the "big foot" engines have different gears in the foot to produce more power not speed. as far as the ads go Engine capacity 50HP and 24 mph. as for the "big foot" engines see this website http://www.mercurymarine.com/mariner_15_bigfoot_fourstroke

T

Tim Bastian

Speed under power

I have a 2002 26X with Yamaha T50 high thrust 4 stroke. I do 20 kts at 6000 rpm no ballast and lightly loaded. I run 14.5 full ballast, and about 8 kts fully loaded for cruising with 40 gallons of water in my fresh water tank, 30 gallons of drinking water in bottles under the dinette and three people onboard with all of their gear. Tim Bastian Zephyr's Aura Hixson, TN

N

Norm

How fast?

Johnson/Evinrude 50hp, no wind, calm lake, 275lbs of people and approx 200lbs gear, empty ballast, 10 pitch prop; we get 20.1MPH at 6200rpms. You might hit 24MPH like the brochure says, but I think you would have to be motoring downhill:)

K

Keith

BIG FOOT SLOW

I have a 1999 26X with a 50 HP Big Foot. With ballast about 11 MPH without 16MPH. That's all she does, not the 25MPH they say but it may be the engine and prop. It may be proped for power and power is good.

M

Mike

Should do 18 mph

Sounds like something is wrong with that motor or boat. With the Merc 50 EFI Bigfoot, I get 14 to 18 mph depending on wind/wave conditions. I always run with full ballast and gear up. I could probably get 20 without all the weight, but what's the point of that? Don't confuse knots with miles per hour. 24 MPH is the advertised max, with the tohatsu 2-stroke 50, no sails or gear, and ONE light skipper at the helm.

G

Glenn

Bigfoot made me cry

I bought a new 26X Last Oct. I had a Merc BF 50 and had nothing but troubles. It could never even come close to 6000 Rpm no matter what prop. It turned out to be a bad motor off the line. I was going to replace it with a new one but the dealer offered a Honda 50 and I jumped all over it. I get about 18mph empty with gear and 12 full ballast. Thats about the average that the macs are getting. If you want more speed try looking at the suzi 140. Overall a great boat for many fun adventures.. COngrats on your decision.

Status
Not open for further replies.