26x Adjusting centerboard while sailing

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

Hart Jacobsen

I have a 1996 MacGregor 26x and have noticed that I am unable to adjust the centerboard up or down when there is any sideward pressure when sailing up wind. When I inspected the pivot pin and the hole through the centerboard I found the hole quite a bit larger. The pivot pin is 1/2 inch and the hole is 5/8 inch. This slop in the size of the hole would allow the centerboard to jam against the side of the centerboard trunk and not allow any adjustment unless there were no sideward pressure. The centerboard adjusts very easily when you are dead into the wind. Does anyone know if this is a normal design feature of the centerboard and thus takes the stress off the hanger bracket and pivot pin or is the hole worn too large and I could correct this by putting in a bushing?

Jun 4, 2004
- - Buffalo, NY
Yes, it is...

the board is supposed to be supported by the side of the trunk, not the pivot pin. If it wasn't supported by the side of the trunk that pivot pin would need to be 2 inches and the top of the board would have to be super reinforced. Even the daggerboard model exhibits the same...on a beat you can't move it. Best thing is to fully deploy it before heading up wind...no need to adjust it up while beating unless you want to reach your destination sideways ;).

Jun 11, 2004
Macgregor 26X Micnigan City, IN
You're right, but...

It is impossible to adjust the centerboard except when you are tacking, and then you don't have much time. The Macgregor manual says by adjusting the position of the centerboard while sailing upwind you can balance the boat so it will sail with the rudders straight. This is hard to do unless you have predetermined the positions from experience. There is a lot of play in my board also.

Status
Not open for further replies.