26S Stay Tube Length

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jimmie

I have a 91 Mac 26s that I purchased with a repaired mast. I purchased a new mast extrusion & spreader tubes. The spreader tubes are six inches longer than the ones that came with the boat. When attaching the stay wires to the spreader end fittings there is about a 30 degree upward angle. Could someone please tell me the correct length for the stay tubes? I believe mine are too long.

M

Mark A

Just replaced mine

I had www.idasailor.com make me some new ones. I have a 88 26D, should be the same. They are 36" long. Had new ones made of SS. Only added 3 extra pounds. I can live with that.

F

Freddie

Don't add extra pounds on top

Had just to replace my mast and measured all the originals. 36" is correct but dont waste weight and $ on SS, Alu is more than enough! BTW Have made mast longer (9m) and added a diamond spreader to sail a chute from top.

M

Mark A

Let me clarify

The reason I changed spreader tube was because I switch to fixed spreader brackets. Because the tube on the side of the nut was mashed beyond repair. There wasn't an easy local solution to get replacements. I called Joel because I know has has SS tube and can give me a fast turn around. He drilled out the holes for the spreader tips and the bolts to the brackets. BTW, drilling holes that line up perectly on tubing can be a chore. With all the crap that I carry on the boat with my wife and kids and their friends ( kids must always bring them for sanity reasons), 3 pounds is irrelavent. Don't race and don't care about it. All that being said, I personally find the rigging the mast is much easier with fixed spreaders. The lines follow the sreaders and don't hang up in the usual places.

Status
Not open for further replies.